The New Mexico Horse Breeders' Association honored its 2014 Thoroughbred champions Jan. 22 during its Zia Awards Banquet at the Marriott Uptown Hotel in Albuquerque.
By winning a quarter-mile race at Sunland Park March 1, Zuellas Heat became the first 2-year-old winner of 2014 and first Northern Hemisphere winner for freshman sire Southwestern Heat, a son of 2001 champion filly Xtra Heat.
Southwestern Heat, a 6-year-old son of Gone West produced from the champion mare Xtra Heat, will enter stud in 2011 at A&A Ranch in Anthony, New Mexico.
Jockey Joe Bravo reached a milestone but 3-year-old speedster Idiot Proof provided the fireworks at Monmouth Park on Wednesday, thrilling an Independence Day crowd of 15,791 by smashing a track record.
The $150,000 Jersey Shore Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. III), one of the few graded sprint events for 3-year-olds in the nation, drew a field of seven from across the United States to help Monmouth celebrate the Fourth of July Wednesday.
R. Larry Johnson's favored Street Magician hit the rail while squeezing through a hole in the stretch, but persevered to win the $100,000 Hirsch Jacobs (gr. III) for 3-year-olds by one length at Pimlico Saturday.
Southwestern Heat, the first foal out of champion filly Xtra Heat, will take a big step up in class when he competes in the six-furlong Hirsch Jacobs Stakes (gr. III) at Pimlico May 19.
Classic Star Stable's Southwestern Heat, the first foal of champion filly sprinter Xtra Heat, won his first race April 11 in impressive style.
Most Popular Stories
- One Lucky Dane Off Derby Trail After Workout
- Cozmic One Approaches Long-Awaited Debut
- Dortmund Records Bullet Work at Santa Anita
- Pint-Sized Pasadena Girl Uncorks Champagne
- Firing Line Drills in Company at Santa Anita
- Carpe Diem Works for Jet-Setting Pletcher
- La Verdad Repeats Score in Distaff 'Cap
- Dissident Retires in Style With All Aged Win
- International Star Heads Derby Works at CD
- Muhaarar, Redstart Win Newbury Classic Trials