Away since Aug. 2, lightly raced Southern Image motored down the middle of the track to catch 33-1 shot Marino Marini in the final strides for a head victory in Friday's $250,000 Malibu Stakes (gr. I) for 3-year-olds on opening day at Santa Anita.
The Thoroughbred Corp.'s Kafwain got his start on the Kentucky Derby trail off on the right foot in Saturday's $150,000 San Vicente Stakes (gr. II), turning in an easy victory in a field of five 3-year-olds.
Kafwain, who finished second to stablemate Vindication in the $1 million Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) on Oct. 26 at Arlington Park, stands out among a field of six 3-year-olds entered in Santa Anita's $150,000 San Vicente Stakes (gr. II) Saturday at seven furlongs.
Blahut Stables, LLC's Southern Image, who is to make his stakes debut in Saturday's $150,000 San Vicente Stakes (gr. II) for 3-year-olds at seven furlongs, worked over Santa Anita's fast main track Wednesday morning. Dense fog that hovered over the track all morning prevented clockers from recording an official time.
Padua Stables' Vindication worked a half-mile in ::49 3/5 handily over Santa Anita's main track Sunday with Dana Barnes aboard. "It was just an easy work," trainer Bob Baffert said. "Good horses like this one make it so easy. All I have to do is keep him happy and healthy and he does the rest."
A juvenile son of Phone Trick was purchased by Canadian veterinarian Robert McMartin on behalf of Eugene Melnyk for $400,000 to top Wednesday's second session of the Ocala Breeders' Sales Company's March select juvenile auction.
Most Popular Stories
- Breeders' Cup Pre-Entries Total 185
- Charismatic Moving to Old Friends
- Beholder, 'Lord' Likely to Retire After BC
- Breeders' Cup Race Order, Wagering Options
- Drosselmeyer to Remain in Brazil
- Bernardini Rules Fasig-Tipton Final Session
- Arrogate Smooth in Six Furlong Work
- Noble Bird Heads Field of Eight in Fayette
- Kentucky Derby Winner Monarchos Dies
- Mshawish Tops Taylor Made Roster, For Now