Rick Baedeker will begin work Feb. 3 as executive director of the California Horse Racing Board, the agency announced Jan. 30.
Santa Anita Park, which opened its winter/spring meeting with an on-track crowd of 44,579 on Dec. 26, posted a 21% increase in attendance and an 11% uptick in on-track handle through the first six days of its 79-day meet.
The mini-satellite wagering network in California expanded to Santa Maria with the California Horse Racing Board's approval Aug. 25.
Del Mar will continue the so-called "Players Pick 5" bet instituted by Hollywood Park this spring and will add a few new twists to its wagering menu for the meet that begins July 20.
Random drug testing of jockeys and harness drivers is set to begin in California after the state horse racing board gave final approval to the rule at its May 26 meeting at Golden Gate Fields.
After months of planning approvals and construction, the OC Tavern Grill and Sports Bar, located in the Southern Orange County beach community of San Clemente, is ready to open its doors to horse players.
The California Horse Racing Board gave its blessing to a Del Mar Thoroughbred Club request reducing the track's 2009 racing schedule by one day per week.
Fairplex Park will remain open without interruption as a racing and training center at least through October and possibly year-around under a funding agreement announced Thursday at the monthly meeting of the California Horse Racing Board at Golden Gate Fields.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Headed to Dubai World Cup
- Conquest Mo Money Still Undefeated, Sunland Derby Next
- Finger Lakes Season Could be on Line at Feb. 27 Meeting
- Willy North Returns to Sales Scene at Fasig-Tipton
- Girvin Upsets Risen Star Stakes
- Canadian Racing Channel HPItv to Remain on the Air
- Prominent Ohio Breeder George Smith Dies at 84
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Unique Bella Tops Roster of 109 Kentucky Oaks Nominees
- McCraken Top Individual in Kentucky Derby Future Wager