Keeneland Race Course will close its doors for the fall season Saturday, Oct. 30, but not before they run the $150,000-added Fayette Stakes (gr. III). The Laura De Seroux-trained, Chilean-bred Total Impact and Will Farish's homebred Midway Road look to be the horses to take up the early chalk.
The $750,000 Hawthorne Gold Cup (gr. II) figured to be the remedy for Perfect Drift and trainer Murray Johnson, both winless in 2004. Perfect Drift looked the best on paper and was sent off at odds of 1-2. But after being part of the pace duel early, Perfect Drift didn't offer much response when Freefourinternet, at 27-1, came from far out of it to swoop by the field for a 1 3/4-length victory.
Roses in May could be nicknamed Mr. October, trainer Dale Romans joked prior to the $350,000 Kentucky Cup Classic Handicap (gr. II). After he recorded his fifth straight victory this year in the easiest fashion possible Saturday at Turfway Park, the 4-year-old colt has risen to the top of the handicap division for the upcoming Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) at Lone Star Park Oct. 30.
Yessirgeneralsir broke fast from the starting gate and never looked back, defeating Kentucky-based Sonic West by 2 ¼ lengths in the $300,000 Lone Star Park Handicap (gr. III) on Memorial Day before 15,648 in Grand Prairie, Texas.
Sonic West, winner of the Razorback Handicap (gr. III) at Oaklawn Park, is the 3-1 morning line second choice in Monday's Lone Star Park Handicap (gr. III), the $300,000 feature race on a seven-stakes Lone Star Million program on Memorial Day .
Last year trainer Bobby Frankel saddled Medaglia d' Oro to win the Oaklawn Handicap (gr. II). This year Frankel hopes Peace Rules, who is listed as even money on the morning-line, can emulate his stablemate's success in Saturday's $500,000 race going 1 1/8-miles.
Sonic West, ridden patiently by Willie Martinez, took advantage of a pace duel between Crafty Shaw and 3-5 favorite Pie N Burger to win the $100,000 Razorback Handicap (gr. III) at Oaklawn Park Sunday.
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Record Tiznow Colt Lives Up to Expectations
- Animal Kingdom's First N. Hemisphere Starter Wins Big
- Tiznow Colt Brings $2.45 Million at OBS
- Strong Gains at OBS Session Led by Record Tiznow Colt
- Derby, Oaks Notes from Churchill Downs, April 27
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Santa Anita Officials Confident Future Cards Will Fill
- Paradise Woods Records Final Work for Kentucky Oaks
- Pletcher Considering Royal Ascot for American Patriot