The Prix Ganay (Fr-I), the first top-level race of the European season, was won in style by last year's German Derby (Ger-I) winner Pastorius.
Pastorius proved that his win in the Deutsches Derby (Ger-I) wasn't a fluke when he sailed to an eight-length victory over older rivals in the Grosser Dallmayr-Preis-Bayeriches Zuchtrennen (Ger-I) in Munich July 29.
Longshot Pastorius swept past favored Novellist near the wire to capture the Sparda 143 Deutsches Derby-German Derby (Ger-I) by a half-length at Hamburg July 1.
Soldier Hollow, who at age seven was the oldest competitor in the field, captured his second consecutive victory in the Grosser Dallmayr-Preis (Ger-I) at Munich on Sunday.
The 8-year-old gelding The Tin Man had Saturday's Arlington Million (gr. IT) at his mercy, going gate to wire to defeat a powerful field on the Arlington Park turf.
James Scatuorchio's English Channel and Juddmonte Farms Inc.'s Cacique, never more than a half-length apart in three previous meetings, renew their rivalry in Saturday's 24th Arlington Million (gr. IT).
Germany's 2004 Horse of the Year Soldier Hollow got back to his winning ways when he defeated even-money choice Arcadio to give trainer Peter Schiergen the first two finishers in Sunday's Grosser Dallmayr-Preis (Ger-I) at Munich.
German trainer Peter Schiergen won his third Italian group I victory in the past three weeks when Soldier Hollow rallied to capture the $425,000 Premio Roma at Capannelle Racetrack in Rome Sunday.
Most Popular Stories
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Trainer Chleborad Secures 1,000th Career Win
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail