Owner/breeder Janis R. Whitham and Hall of Fame trainer Ron McAnally doubled their pleasure Monday when their Mea Domina held on to beat entry mate Solar Echo in the $441,500 Gamely Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IT) on the Hollywood Park turf.
The changing picture of the $350,000 Gamely Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IT) may have been summarized Thursday morning in front of Barn 70, where Hall of Fame trainers Bobby Frankel and Ron McAnally operate adjacent stables.
Juddmonte Farms' Intercontinental, winner of the Nov. 28 Matriarch (gr. IT) at Hollywood Park in her last start of 2004, is scheduled to make her 2005 debut for trainer Bobby Fankel in Monday's $150,000 Buena Vista Handicap (gr. IIT) at Santa Anita.
The Thoroughbred Corp. homebred Dessert, making her debut in stakes company, captured Sunday's $300,000 Del Mar Oaks (gr. IT) in gate-to-wire fashion, holding off an unlucky Solar Echo by a neck on the grass.
Headed by San Clemente Handicap winner Katdogawn and multiple stakes winner Atlantic Ocean, a field of at least eight appears likely for Sunday's 47th edition of the grade I, $300,000 Del Mar Oaks.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Looking to Retain His Throne
- Big Three Clash in Rich Travers Stakes
- Champion English Channel Relocates to Calumet
- Wise Dan to Make Return in Bernard Baruch
- Storm and a Half to Stand in Iowa
- Tiz Wonderful Colt Sells for OKC Sale Record
- Unbeaten Taghrooda Heads Yorkshire Oaks
- Consignors Provide Keeneland Showing Schedule
- Haskin's Top Sprinters of the Last 50 Years
- New Mexico Owner/Breeder Danley Dies