A change in tactics helped Black Mamba capture the $125,000 Rood and Riddle Dowager Stakes at Keeneland in likely the final start of her career Oct. 25.
Odds-on choice Black Mamba always seems to run her race, and in the $147,000 Beverly Hills Handicap (gr. IIT) at Hollywood Park June 28, the grinding effort was just good enough for the New Zealand-bred mare to make it consecutive wins in the 1 1/4-mile turf event.
PORTER ON PEDIGREES, by Alan Porter
Black Mamba has grown from a promising young filly in New Zealand into a grade I winner in the U.S. who now may be headed to the Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships in October. The daughter of Black Minnaloushe is the first black type winner out her dam Sneetch.
Most Popular Stories
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup
- Casse Duo Set for Queen's Plate Run
- Neolithic Back Galloping After Respiratory Illness
- The Stronach Group Considers New England Venture
- Kentucky Derby Starters Reunite in Ohio Derby
- Disco Rico and His Record-Setting Son Disco Partner
- Untrapped Aims for First Stakes win in Ohio Derby
- Litfin at Large: Class Horses Figure in Ohio Derby
- Kitasan Black Faces 10 in Takarazuka Kinen