Smarten, one of the top sires in Maryland during the last two decades, was euthanized March 31 at Northview Stallion Station in Chesapeake City, Md., due to an intestinal blockage that didn't respond to treatment as well as the infirmities of age. The 27-year-old son of Cyane was buried at the farm where he had been a pensioner since 1999.
Wild Goose won his first stakes, the June 23 John D. Marsh Stakes at Colonial Downs, and became the first stakes winner for his sire, Prenup, at the same time.
Most Popular Stories
- Mo Tom Clear Winner in Ohio Derby
- Melatonin Game in Gold Cup Victory
- Europeans Set for Belmont Derby, Oaks
- Melatonin Could Get Time Off After Gold Cup
- NJ-Bred Chublicious Captures Mr. Prospector
- California Chrome Logs Weekly Drill at Los Al
- Mid-Year Look at the BC Classic
- Un Autre First Winner for I'll Have Another
- Lord Nelson Lunges to Triple Bend Score
- Marialite Upsets Favorites at Hanshin