Smarten, one of the top sires in Maryland during the last two decades, was euthanized March 31 at Northview Stallion Station in Chesapeake City, Md., due to an intestinal blockage that didn't respond to treatment as well as the infirmities of age. The 27-year-old son of Cyane was buried at the farm where he had been a pensioner since 1999.
Wild Goose won his first stakes, the June 23 John D. Marsh Stakes at Colonial Downs, and became the first stakes winner for his sire, Prenup, at the same time.
Most Popular Stories
- Mubtaahij Easily Earns Kentucky Derby Spot
- Champion Groupie Doll Delivers Premature Foal
- Sole Power Drives to Al Quoz Sprint Win
- Tamarkuz Takes Godolphin Mile Thriller
- 'Chrome' Draws Outside Post 9 for World Cup
- Four Penn National Vets Face Federal Charges
- Fields Shaping Up for Wood Memorial Day
- Castellano Gears Up for Busy FL Derby Day
- Gulfstream Should Have Lucrative FL Derby Day
- Champion Sire Smart Strike Euthanized