Smarten, one of the top sires in Maryland during the last two decades, was euthanized March 31 at Northview Stallion Station in Chesapeake City, Md., due to an intestinal blockage that didn't respond to treatment as well as the infirmities of age. The 27-year-old son of Cyane was buried at the farm where he had been a pensioner since 1999.
Wild Goose won his first stakes, the June 23 John D. Marsh Stakes at Colonial Downs, and became the first stakes winner for his sire, Prenup, at the same time.
Most Popular Stories
- Champion Hidden Lake Dies at 23
- California Chrome Draws Rail in Awesome Again
- Jockey Gallardo to Try Southern California
- Borell Enters Alford Plea on Cruelty Charges
- Outwork, Speightster Retire to WinStar
- Stopchargingmaria in F-T November Sale
- Santa Anita Installs Barn Surveillance System
- 'Cleopatra' Looking to Reign in Chandelier
- Jockey Collins Suffers Paralysis After Spill
- Another Try for Metaboss in John Henry Turf