Smarten, one of the top sires in Maryland during the last two decades, was euthanized March 31 at Northview Stallion Station in Chesapeake City, Md., due to an intestinal blockage that didn't respond to treatment as well as the infirmities of age. The 27-year-old son of Cyane was buried at the farm where he had been a pensioner since 1999.
Wild Goose won his first stakes, the June 23 John D. Marsh Stakes at Colonial Downs, and became the first stakes winner for his sire, Prenup, at the same time.
Most Popular Stories
- Final Call for Taylors of Seattle Slew Fame
- Catastrophic Equine Injuries' Impact on Jockey Injuries
- 'Chrome' Set for San Antonio, Bayern Doubtful
- 74-Year-Old Horseplayer Wins 2015 NHC Title
- Flashy Debut for Royal Delta Half Brother
- Desormeaux Sets Derby Path for Texas Red
- Wildcat Red Sidelined with Back Muscle Pull
- Sportive Overcomes Fog to Win Portland Mile
- Options Abound for Holy Bull Winner Upstart
- Bob Neumeier Wins Celebrity Challenge at NHC