Smarten, one of the top sires in Maryland during the last two decades, was euthanized March 31 at Northview Stallion Station in Chesapeake City, Md., due to an intestinal blockage that didn't respond to treatment as well as the infirmities of age. The 27-year-old son of Cyane was buried at the farm where he had been a pensioner since 1999.
Wild Goose won his first stakes, the June 23 John D. Marsh Stakes at Colonial Downs, and became the first stakes winner for his sire, Prenup, at the same time.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief to Undergo Nuclear Scan
- Shared Belief Eased as Moreno Wins CT Classic
- Texas Red Could Be Back in Action in May
- Borel Named to Ride El Kabeir in KY Derby
- Kentucky Derby Notes, April 19
- Hong Kong HOY Ambitious Dragon Retired
- Bejarano to Ride Bolo in Kentucky Derby
- El Kabeir in Sharp Drill for Kentucky Derby
- KY Oaks Hopeful Shook Up Sharp in CD Workout
- Duramente Storms Home in Japanese Guineas