Park Avenue Racing Stable's Smart and Fancy was installed as the tepid 3-1 morning-line favorite in what looks to be a hotly-contested renewal of the $200,000 Turf Amazon Handicap Sept. 26 at Philadelphia Park Casino & Racetrack.
The connections of top dirt sprinter Fabulous Strike took a pass on the $200,000 Pennsylvania Governor's Cup, but the handicap lured a full field of turf sprinters that rank among the best at East Coast and Midwest racetracks.
Good Night Shirt, two-time Eclipse Award winner as the nation's leading steeplechaser, was named 2008 Maryland-bred Horse of the Year, as well as champion steeplechaser, in the annual poll conducted by the Maryland Horse Breeders Association.
New York shipper Oprah Winney fought off all comers to record her first graded stakes win, a front-running three-quarters of a length victory over Silmaril in the $285,000 Barbara Fritchie Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) for fillies and mares at Laurel Park Saturday.
Five shippers from Florida and New York will test local star Silmaril at Laurel Park Saturday in the $300,000 Barbara Fritchie Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) for fillies and mares.
Erdenheim Farm's Play Bingo went from last to first to win the $250,000 Maryland Million Classic Saturday at Laurel Park, the centerpiece of a day of stakes races for the progeny of Maryland breds.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Santa Ana Features Return of Emollient
- 'Derby Poker Bourbon Bash' to Benefit TCA
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- Rosario Rides General a Rod in Florida Derby
- Jockey Von Rosen Suffers Serious Injury
- Game On Dude Heads World's Best Racehorses