Park Avenue Racing Stable's Smart and Fancy was installed as the tepid 3-1 morning-line favorite in what looks to be a hotly-contested renewal of the $200,000 Turf Amazon Handicap Sept. 26 at Philadelphia Park Casino & Racetrack.
The connections of top dirt sprinter Fabulous Strike took a pass on the $200,000 Pennsylvania Governor's Cup, but the handicap lured a full field of turf sprinters that rank among the best at East Coast and Midwest racetracks.
Good Night Shirt, two-time Eclipse Award winner as the nation's leading steeplechaser, was named 2008 Maryland-bred Horse of the Year, as well as champion steeplechaser, in the annual poll conducted by the Maryland Horse Breeders Association.
New York shipper Oprah Winney fought off all comers to record her first graded stakes win, a front-running three-quarters of a length victory over Silmaril in the $285,000 Barbara Fritchie Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) for fillies and mares at Laurel Park Saturday.
Five shippers from Florida and New York will test local star Silmaril at Laurel Park Saturday in the $300,000 Barbara Fritchie Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) for fillies and mares.
Erdenheim Farm's Play Bingo went from last to first to win the $250,000 Maryland Million Classic Saturday at Laurel Park, the centerpiece of a day of stakes races for the progeny of Maryland breds.
Most Popular Stories
- Hence Springs Upset in Sunland Derby
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Dortmund Back to Dirt in Next Start
- Undefeated Ghalia Takes Sunland Park Oaks
- Girvin Heads Louisiana Derby Field
- Fast and Accurate Scores Spiral Upset
- Farrell Poised for Next Test in Fair Grounds Oaks
- Fear the Cowboy Takes Skip Away in Late Drive
- Thunder Snow Gets Up in UAE Derby
- Mind Your Biscuits Rises to Occasion in Golden Shaheen