Veteran trainer Thomas H. Voss, known for both his success in the steeplechase world and with runners on the flat, died Jan. 21 of an apparent heart attack.
Demonstrative, winner of the New York Turf Writers Cup Handicap (NSA-I), will battle with several veteran runners and new arrivals to American racing in the $250,000 Grand National (NSA-I), at Far Hills Races Oct. 20.
Liable, the dam of 2010 Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) winner and champion Blame, has been named Broodmare of the Year by the Kentucky Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association.
Ken and Sarah Ramsey's homebred Slip Away is named 2010 champion Steeplechaser based on his 25-plus length score in the Colonial Cup Hurdle Stakes (NSA-I).
Jason Shandler looks at the likely 2010 Eclipse Award winners. Read Blog
Ken and Sarah Ramsey's Slip Away swept to the lead approaching the Springdale Course's final turn and powered away to a remarkable 25 3/4-length victory in the Colonial Cup Steeplechase at Camden, S.C., on Nov. 13.
In his first United States start, Denmark-based Percussionist exploded through the stretch to win the $250,000 Grand National (NSA-I), featured race of the Far Hills Races Oct. 23 in New Jersey.
Trainer Jonathan Sheppard enjoyed a banner day at the Monmouth Park-Meridian Steeplechase Festival Sept. 25, capturing his 1,000th career hurdle win when Arcadius took the $100,000 Helen Haskell Sampson Stakes (NSA-I).
Irvin Naylor's Tax Ruling challenged front-running Slip Away before the next to last fence of the $150,000 Calvin Houghland Iroquois Steeplechase (NSA-I) May 8, took the lead before the last, and drew clear to win.
Most Popular Stories
- Tonalist, Wicked Strong Headline Jim Dandy
- Dance With Fate Off the Bench for San Diego
- Queen's Horse Tests Positive for Morphine
- Record Breakers Headed for Del Mar Debutante
- Art Sherman to Receive Laffit Pincay Award
- Daring Dancer Prevails in Lake George Stakes
- Can Coup de Grace Land Blow in Amsterdam?
- Shanon Nicole Takes Off-Turf Indiana Grand
- Delaware, Horsemen Hope to Pay Late Purses
- Eight Stakes Set for Churchill in September