Slew's Final Answer had the solution to a fast pace in Tampa Bay Downs' $60,000 Minaret Stakes on Saturday. She tracked the leaders and swept around the far turn to run down tiring front-runner Beautiful Honor and bold 100-1 long shot Diablosangeleyes for a convincing 3 ½-length win in the six-furlong dirt stakes for older fillies and mares.
Harmony Lodge and jockey Richard Migliore held off a late rally by favored House Party and stubborn Slews Final Answer on Sunday afternoon to win the $150,000 Gallant Bloom Handicap (gr. II) for fillies and mares at 6 1/2 furlongs by a half-length.
House Party, winner of the Grade 1 Prioress here at Belmont in July, was one of six fillies and mares entered in the 10th running of the Gallant Bloom.
Juddmonte Farm's Sightseek, a runner-up to Starrer in the recent Santa Margarita (gr. I) at Santa Anita, is the 2-1 morning-line favorite in a field of eight in the $200,000 Humana Distaff at seven furlongs for older fillies and mares at Churchill Downs.
Jockey Jerry Bailey met an old acquaintance, the Calder winner's circle, on the final day of 2002, capturing Tuesday's $38,955 Auld Lang Syne Handicap aboard the filly Slews Final Answer.
Del Mar Show tops Friday's Cliff Hanger Handicap at Meadowlands.
Most Popular Stories
- Story to Tell, La Grange Win Juvenile Stakes
- Ortiz, Castellano Finish in Tie at Belmont
- New Journeyman Cabrera Wins Lone Star Title
- Wildcat Red Posts Bullet Breeze for Haskell
- Initial Win Noted for Louisiana Sire Orthodox
- No Catching Unspurned in Bison City Stakes
- A Conversation With Michael Straight
- Gallante Shocks Soggy Grand Prix de Paris
- Apprentice LaRicci Tallies With First Mount
- Positive Outlook for Fasig-Tipton Yearlings