Odds-on choice Wanna Runner left the pacesetting Blaze It behind on the far turn on his way to demolishing an overmatched field by 4 3/4 lengths in the $600,000 WinStar Derby at Sunland Park in New Mexico Saturday.
The Bob Baffert-trained duo of Wanna Runner and Sky Diving, both disappointing in their most recent starts, lead a field of nine 3-year-olds entered for Saturday's $600,000 WinStar Derby at New Mexico's Sunland Park.
Bob and John, winner of the Sham Stakes (gr. III) six weeks ago, is one of three entries from trainer Bob Baffert in the $250,000 San Felipe Stakes (gr. II) for 3-year-olds Saturday at Santa Anita Park.
Trainer Bob Baffert said Sunday that he could enter as many as four horses in the 1 1/16-mile San Felipe Stakes (gr. II) Saturday at Santa Anita.
The California Derby is not known as a spawning ground for Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winners, and if the expected rain hits the San Francisco area and Racketeer is scratched, that likely will leave only Cause to Believe who has a legitimate shot at the Run for the Roses.
Northern California's top 3-year-old, Cause to Believe, heads a field of seven in Saturday's $100,000 California Derby at Golden Gate Fields.
Keagan, ridden by Scott Stevens, collared the 3-5 choice Sky Diving near the sixteenth pole and drove to a one-length victory in the $75,000 Turf Paradise Derby for 3-year-olds Saturday in Phoenix.
Most Popular Stories
- Baffert Talks 2017 Triple Crown
- Elliott Honored with George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award
- Boat Trip Gets First Foal Times Three
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Oscar Performance Targeting Keeneland for Season Debut
- Canadian Horse Racing Plans Anniversary 250 Celebration
- Three Rules Fires Florida Bullet
- Local Hero, Guest Suite Top Risen Star Selections
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies