The return from retirement of Lava Man, temporarily scrapped by bad weather in Southern California two weeks ago, is set Dec. 27 when he takes on six rivals in the San Gabriel Handicap (gr. IIT) on the Santa Anita turf.
After heavy rains at Belmont Park forced her to make Presious Passion a late scratch from the Joe Hirsch Turf Classic Invitational (gr. IT) Oct. 3 at Belmont Park, trainer Mary Hartmann knew exactly what she had to do. She shipped her multiple grade I-winning 6-year-old cross-country to California where she knew she would find the kind of firm footing her star appreciates for a different Hirsch at Santa Anita Park.
Spring House earned a repeat victory in the $250,000 Del Mar Handicap (gr. IIT) when he came from far off the pace Aug. 30 to catch the outsider Sir Dave by an extremely short nose on the turf.
Odds-on choice Spring House, guided off the rail in the homestretch by Russell Baze, wore down Yacht Spotter in the final sixteenth of a mile to win the $100,000 Golden Gate Fields Turf Stakes (gr. IIIT) May 30.
Multiple grade II winner Spring House ventures to Albany, Calif., for the first time in his 40-race career as the likely favorite in the $100,000 Golden Gate Fields Turf Stakes (gr. IIIT) May 30.
Most Popular Stories
- Archarcharch, Tizway to South Korea
- Better Talk Now Euthanized at Age 18
- Lights of Medina Leads Pletcher Trio in Mother Goose
- After 26 Stakes Wins, Fan Favorite Ben's Cat Retired
- Curlin's Approval Heads Princess Rooney
- Holy Helena Favored for Queen's Plate
- Mott Set for Queen's Plate Debut With Channel Maker
- Obituary: Jack Arterburn Spent Life in Racing
- Delta Bluesman Aims to Repeat in Smile Sprint
- Fasig-Tipton Horses of Racing Age Sale Offers Diversity