For the 15th straight year, two divisions of the Oceanside Stakes will highlight opening day at Del Mar as the seaside tracks kicks off its 64th season of action.
Singletary, the probable favorite in the $100,000-added Will Rogers Stakes (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds goint one mile on turf Sunday, is named after Mike Singletary, Hall of Fame linebacker for the Chicago Bears.
Trainer James Cassidy had his patience rewarded Saturday when British import Steelaninch, under jockey Victor Espinoza, won the $150,000 La Puente Stakes on the Santa Anita turf by a nose over 11-10 favorite Singletary, who was ridden by David Flores.
Singletary, named after the ex Chicago Bears linebacker, flattened his opposition Friday with a 2 1/2-length victory in the $81,100 Academy Road Stakes for 3-year-olds at Santa Anita Park.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah Continues Churchill Training
- Sheikh Hamdan: U.S. TC Too Much Pressure
- Ward Fillies Work at Arlington for Royal Meet
- Mubtaahij Breezes Easy at Belmont Park
- Ol' Fashion Gal Fends Off Late Run in Selene
- Stewart Pleased with Tale of Verve at Belmont
- Ashleyluvssugar No Fluke in Whittingham
- American Pharoah Gallops Again at Churchill
- Main Sequence to Defend United Nations Title
- Solow, Queen's Jewel Win at Longchamp