Senor Swinger, a prime candidate for Saturday's 63rd La Jolla Handicap, a prep for the Del Mar Derby on Saturday, September 6, turned in a strong half-mile work in 47.20 Monday morning over the Jimmy Durante Turf Course at Del Mar.
For the 15th straight year, two divisions of the Oceanside Stakes will highlight opening day at Del Mar as the seaside tracks kicks off its 64th season of action.
Singletary, the probable favorite in the $100,000-added Will Rogers Stakes (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds goint one mile on turf Sunday, is named after Mike Singletary, Hall of Fame linebacker for the Chicago Bears.
Trainer James Cassidy had his patience rewarded Saturday when British import Steelaninch, under jockey Victor Espinoza, won the $150,000 La Puente Stakes on the Santa Anita turf by a nose over 11-10 favorite Singletary, who was ridden by David Flores.
Singletary, named after the ex Chicago Bears linebacker, flattened his opposition Friday with a 2 1/2-length victory in the $81,100 Academy Road Stakes for 3-year-olds at Santa Anita Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Firing Line to Crestwood
- Dutchess Views Lowers Fee for Big Brown
- NY Again Considers Continuing Ed for Trainers
- Arrogate Works Toward Seasonal Bow
- Pure Sensation Questionable for HK Sprint
- BC Juvenile Winner Texas Red Retired
- Able Friend Out to Regain Hong Kong Glory
- American Gal, Union Strike Meet in Starlet
- Retired Valet Ward Dies in Kentucky
- New York Calls Off Belmont Development