Benefiting from a patient ride, Head Heart Hoof took control leaving the turn and held off a tenacious rally by Johannesburg Smile to win the 120th renewal of the Toboggan Handicap (gr. III) at Aqueduct Racetrack Feb. 2.
Triple Crown aspirations cast aside in a decisive loss in the San Felipe Stakes (gr. II) in March, Runflatout makes his return to action in the $100,000 Lazaro Barrera Memorial Stakes (gr. III) at Hollywood Park May 15.
Bob Baffert confirmed March 30 that he is leaning toward the Arkansas Derby (gr. I) for The Factor, but was still non-committal about what race his other Kentucky Derby (gr. I) contender, Jaycito, would point toward.
Twice the Appeal, disqualified in his prior start, made the most of a second chance when he collared Astrology near mid-stretch en route to a 1 1/2-length victory in the $800,000 Sunland Derby (gr. III) in New Mexico.
With three Derby preps and the World Cup, this weekend offers plenty of action. Read Blog
Astrology has been a bit star-crossed so far in 2011, but the well-regarded son of A.P. Indy will finally get his 3-year-old season started in the $800,000 Sunland Park Derby (gr. III) in New Mexico March 27.
Lightning-fast 3-year-old The Factor, who turned heads when he broke his maiden in track record time in December, will make his much-anticipated season debut in the $150,000 San Vicente Stakes (gr. II) Feb. 20 at Santa Anita.
It just goes to show you how fragile life is on the Derby trail, metaphorically, of course. One minute you're sitting comfortably near the top of the contenders list and the next you're in a free fall. Read Blog
Most Popular Stories
- Champion Songbird Confirmed for Ogden Phipps
- Classic Empire to Begins Belmont Training
- Epicharis Begins Journey to Belmont Park
- Catch A Glimpse Has Homecoming in Nassau
- CHRB Approves Medication Conditions for Breeders' Cup
- Humane Society, PETA Support USADA Bill
- Midnight Storm Seeks Grade 1 Dirt Win in Gold Cup
- Leslie's Lady in Foal to American Pharoah
- Lady Eli Brings Her Class to Gamely
- Classic Empire to Coolmore on Retirement