On a brisk spring morning at Belmont Park April 25, El Kabeir put in his final breeze for the May 2 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), and it was unexpectedly eventful.
"Since he ran at Churchill, he really started to change... it's amazing how this horse has kept going forward, while braving the brutal winter we had," Tonja Terranova said of Wood Memorial contender El Kabeir.
Zayat Stables' Paynter posted a bullet work over the Belmont Park training track May 27 as the Bob Baffert-trained colt continued his preparations for the June 9 Belmont Stakes (gr. I).
Most Popular Stories
- Dickinson Decides to Return to Training
- Shared Belief Still Healing in Northwest
- American Pharoah Takes Haskell With Ease
- 'Pharoah' Heads Home, Next Race Undecided
- Upstart Fine After Haskell; Travers Next
- Injured Jockey Luzzi Cleared to Resume Riding
- Longform: Long Live the Queen
- Records Fall on Haskell Day at Monmouth Park
- Lea Tunes Up for Whitney in Workout
- Haskin: Bronwen Healy's American Adventure