Longtime Northern California Thoroughbred owner and breeder Kjell Qvale, a Norwegian-born automotive executive, died Nov. 2 in San Francisco at the age of 94.
MAHUBAH'S CORNER, by Avalyn Hunter
A family full of consistent winners, albeit not terribly flashy, is propelling Tin Cup Chalice toward a shot at the Big Apple Triple, a series for New York-breds that offers a $250,000 to the horse that sweeps it. The son of Crusader Sword is out of the female family that produce Silky Sullivan.
Eastern Sand, the runner-up in the Oak Tree Derby (gr. IIT), heads a field of seven 3-year-olds entered in Saturday's $100,000 Silky Sullivan (gr. IIIT) on the grass at Golden Gate Fields.
March 8, 1958
Silky Sullivan at Santa Anita
Most Popular Stories
- Leroidesanimaux Dies at 16
- Tepin Works; Trip to Royal Ascot Uncertain
- California Chrome 'Stronger' in Los Al Drill
- Kentucky Suspends Umarov for 10 Years
- Destin Work is 'Stamina Builder' for Belmont
- Rockingham to End All Operations Aug. 31
- Velasquez to Ride Full-Time at Gulfstream
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Candy Ride Colt Tops Barretts Sale