Longtime Northern California Thoroughbred owner and breeder Kjell Qvale, a Norwegian-born automotive executive, died Nov. 2 in San Francisco at the age of 94.
MAHUBAH'S CORNER, by Avalyn Hunter
A family full of consistent winners, albeit not terribly flashy, is propelling Tin Cup Chalice toward a shot at the Big Apple Triple, a series for New York-breds that offers a $250,000 to the horse that sweeps it. The son of Crusader Sword is out of the female family that produce Silky Sullivan.
Eastern Sand, the runner-up in the Oak Tree Derby (gr. IIT), heads a field of seven 3-year-olds entered in Saturday's $100,000 Silky Sullivan (gr. IIIT) on the grass at Golden Gate Fields.
March 8, 1958
Silky Sullivan at Santa Anita
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Draws Post 13, is 3-1 Derby Favorite
- Field of 22 Set for 142nd Kentucky Derby
- Fresh Horses Plentiful in 2016 Kentucky Derby
- Ramseys Go It Alone with Oscar Nominated
- Rachel's Valentina 7-2 Oaks Favorite
- Full Gate for Pat Day Mile
- Bensons Hope to Let Good Times Roll in Derby
- Trainer Abrams Takes Leave of Absence
- Gryder Seeks First Derby With Trojan Nation
- Nyquist Jogs, Schools at Churchill Downs