Longtime Northern California Thoroughbred owner and breeder Kjell Qvale, a Norwegian-born automotive executive, died Nov. 2 in San Francisco at the age of 94.
MAHUBAH'S CORNER, by Avalyn Hunter
A family full of consistent winners, albeit not terribly flashy, is propelling Tin Cup Chalice toward a shot at the Big Apple Triple, a series for New York-breds that offers a $250,000 to the horse that sweeps it. The son of Crusader Sword is out of the female family that produce Silky Sullivan.
Eastern Sand, the runner-up in the Oak Tree Derby (gr. IIT), heads a field of seven 3-year-olds entered in Saturday's $100,000 Silky Sullivan (gr. IIIT) on the grass at Golden Gate Fields.
March 8, 1958
Silky Sullivan at Santa Anita
Most Popular Stories
- Road to the Kentucky Derby Schedule Announced
- Stephanie's Kitten to be Offered at F-T Sale
- Plesa Hoping to Get Lucky in Woodward
- Kentucky Downs Adds 16 Stable Cameras
- Second Purse Hike at Ohio's ThistleDown
- TOBA August Member of the Month
- Big Drama Colt Leads OBS Select Session
- Limitations and Advances in Lameness Assessment
- Magic Touch: Human Therapist Helps Racehorses
- Travers Upset: V. E. Day Over Wicked Strong