Longtime Northern California Thoroughbred owner and breeder Kjell Qvale, a Norwegian-born automotive executive, died Nov. 2 in San Francisco at the age of 94.
MAHUBAH'S CORNER, by Avalyn Hunter
A family full of consistent winners, albeit not terribly flashy, is propelling Tin Cup Chalice toward a shot at the Big Apple Triple, a series for New York-breds that offers a $250,000 to the horse that sweeps it. The son of Crusader Sword is out of the female family that produce Silky Sullivan.
Eastern Sand, the runner-up in the Oak Tree Derby (gr. IIT), heads a field of seven 3-year-olds entered in Saturday's $100,000 Silky Sullivan (gr. IIIT) on the grass at Golden Gate Fields.
March 8, 1958
Silky Sullivan at Santa Anita
Most Popular Stories
- Racing's Stars Set for Santa Anita Saturday
- Texas Chrome Pointing to Dirt Mile
- Pinhooking Rookie Scores Big at Keeneland
- Team Block relocating Fort Prado to Indiana
- Amid Gloomy Forecast, Illinois Sets Dates
- Goffs Orby Off to Solid Start
- Broadcast Honors for Santa Anita, NYRA
- Eddie D. Stakes Split Into Divisions
- Pompa, Brown Connect on Dirt in Pa. Derby
- NBC Will Air Pegasus World Cup