French-bred Silic, winner of the 1999 Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) at Gulfstream Park has died. The 18-year-old stallion stood in Kentucky and California.
J. Terrence Lanni, 68, the retired chief executive officer of MGM Mirage, raced several graded stakes winners.
Unheralded Gladiatorus humbled a field that included 10 grade or group I winners when he sped to a front-running victory with local jockey Ahmed Ajtebi in the $5 million Dubai Duty Free (UAE-I) over the Nad al Sheba grass course March 28.
Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) winner Silic and stakes winner Best Minister will stand in 2007 at Dinesh Maniar's Getaway Thoroughbred Farm near Romoland, Calif.
Let others worry about track conditions and post positions. Trainer Julio Canani has adopted the "What, Me Worry" stance made famous by Alfred E. Neuman as the Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships approach.
Aljabr and Silic were represented by their first winners at the end of June.
French stallion Sillery, whose son Silic won the 1999 Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT), has died.
Pope McLean announced that Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) winner Silic will enter stud at his Crestwood Farm near Lexington for a fee of $3,500 live foal.
1999 Breeders' Cup Mile winner Silic has suffered a recurrence of an old foot injury that will preclude him from defending his crown at Churchill Downs in November.
The Julio Canani-trained pair of Silic and Ladies Din, the one-two finishers in last year's Shoemaker Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT), repeated that performance Sunday with Silic finishing 1/2-length ahead of Ladies Din.
Most Popular Stories
- Shakin It Up Retired, To Stand at Spendthrift
- California Chrome Returning Early From Break
- Wise Dan Turns in First Breeze Since Surgery
- The Pizza Man Key Ingredient To Arlington
- Jockey Stevens to Undergo Knee Surgery
- Multiple Group I Winner The Fugue Retired
- The Influence of His Majesty
- Belmont to Offer Low-Roller Player Tourney
- French Derby Duo Clash Again at Longchamp
- Two Fillies Among 37 Ohio Derby Nominees