Irish-bred Whilly, who provided 40-year-old journeyman jockey Felipe Martinez with his first graded stakes victory in last year's San Marcos (gr. IIT), will attempt to become the first repeat winner of the 1 1/4-mile event over Santa Anita's turf course on Sunday.
Sharon Fitzpatrick's millionaire Continental Red faces seven other turf marathoners as the 9-year-old gelding seeks to regain his winning form in Saturday's San Luis Obispo Handicap (gr. IIT) at 1 1/2 miles over Santa Anita's grass.
Proven in sloppy conditions, Congrats relished the off track Saturday at waterlogged Santa Anita Park, splashing away to an easy victory in the $150,000 San Pasqual Handicap (gr. II).
Florida invader Dynever, third in the 2003 Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I), heads a field of eleven in Hollywood Park's $100,000 Native Diver Handicap (gr. III) at 1 1/8 miles Saturday.
Creston Farms' favored Reba's Gold took control in the stretch and went on to capture the $100,000 Ralph M. Hinds Pomona Invitational on the final day of the Los Angeles County Fair at Fairplex Park Sunday.
A field of 12 has signed on for the $200,000 San Fernando Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. II), the second leg of the Strub Series for foals of 1998. Western Pride is the 122-pound highweight for the 1 1/16-mile main track event. Western Pride also garnered the highest weight allocation of the 12 entered here by Globeform's ranking of last year's 3-year-olds.
In a race marred by a spill involving 13-10 favorite Marine, Sir Alfred rallied in the stretch to win Sunday's $100,000 Ascot Handicap (gr. IIIT) by 3/4 lengths over Hoovergetthekeys at Bay Meadows.
Most Popular Stories
- Champion High Chaparral Euthanized at 15
- Danon Platina Captures Asahi Hai Futurity
- Gulfstream Builds Stalls for Displaced Horses
- Trainer James DiVito Collects 1,000th Win
- Dortmund Wins Dramatic Los Alamitos Futurity
- Clement Trio Looms Large in La Prevoyante
- Leading Laurel Rider McCarthy Breaks Wrist
- Asmussen, Albarado Team for Four-Win Day
- CHRB Eyes Scratching of Unreported Geldings
- Favored Act of War Captures Cape Guineas