Unheralded Buddy Gil and jockey Gary Stevens came out of nowhere to hold off a flying Atswhatimtalknbout by a nostril in Sunday's $250,000 San Felipe Stakes (gr. II) for 3-year-olds at Santa Anita.
San Felipe Stakes possibility Southern Image worked seven furlongs at Santa Anita Friday in company with Quite Careless in 1:26.40 for trainer Mike Machowsky.
Overlays were the rule on the first day of the 2003 Kentucky Derby Future Derby Wager as the bettors took a cautious approach, making the field the even-money favorite Thursday.
Talk about hot on the Derby trail, Bob Baffert has won the first two major Kentucky Derby preps at Santa Anita, with different horses – Domestic Dispute and Kafwain. In addition, both horses won in magnificent style, and neither of them are even Baffert's main Derby hope.
Boxed in for much of the way, Push Push Stable's Robledo, with jockey David Flores showing the way, was able to get outside of 3-10 favorite Siberland and win the duel to the wire in Saturday's $100,000 Turf Paradise Derby in Phoenix.
February promises to provide a great deal of excitement, with the eagerly-awaited debuts of 2-year-old champion Vindication, Sky Mesa, Empire Maker, and Kafwain.
Hall of Fame jockey Laffit Pincay, Jr., with more than 9,500 career wins, as well as Siberland, who has aspirations for the Kentucky Derby (gr. I), are among the featured attractions at Turf Paradise Saturday.
Bay gelding, foaled March 12, 2000
Siberian Summer--Valley Deb, by Debonair Roger
Most Popular Stories
- Pletcher Breezes Four Kentucky Derby Hopefuls
- Classic Empire a Pro in Four-Furlong Move
- Sano Star Gunnevera Goes Easy Five Furlongs
- O'Neill Confident After Irap's Mile Work
- Blinkers Likely for Practical Joke in Kentucky Derby
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Unbridled Unleashed
- Abel Tasman Gears Up for Kentucky Oaks Run
- Battle of Midway Logs Final Work for Kentucky Derby
- Creative Cause Filly's Sale Emotional for Koch