It may not be worth points on the road to the Kentucky Derby (gr. I), but the $750,000 Illinois Derby (gr. III) drew a packed field of 14, including some familiar names, when entries were taken April 17
Fast-developing Govenor Charlie became the latest colt to jump into the Triple Crown fray when the Bob Baffert trainee dominated eight 3-year-old opponents in winning the $800,000 Sunland Derby (gr. III) March 24.
Shakin It Up and Govenor Charlie looking for valuable 50 points in 1 1/8-mile test.
Dry Summer relished a slow early pace and surged home to gain a definitive 1 1/2-length win in the $120,000 Mine That Bird Derby at Sunland Park Racetrack and Casino Feb. 23.
After showing a fondness for Sunland Park last month, Dry Summer was made the 5-2 favorite for the $120,000 Mine that Bird Derby Feb. 23 in New Mexico.
Show Some Magic, a maiden winner at Saratoga Race Course in August, broke through against winners for the first time in the $100,000 Riley Allison Futurity Dec. 23 at Sunland Park in New Mexico.
Todd Pletcher will saddle one-third of the starters in this year's $300,000 Three Chimneys Hopeful (gr. II) for 2-year-olds Sept. 3 at Saratoga Race Course, but Kelly Breen has the morning line favorite in Bern Identity.
- By Vic Zast
Leisurely dawns lead to action-packed afternoons at Saratoga. read blog
Most Popular Stories
- Terranovas Seek Derby Success With El Kabeir
- Sherman: Ascot Could Be Rough on 'Chrome'
- U.S. Alleges Conspiracy at Penn National
- Luck of the Kitten Starts '15 in Transylvania
- Is Mubtaahij a Major Derby Contender?
- ROAP Seeks Regulation of 'Program Trainers'
- RMTC Nears Recommendation on Calming Agent
- El Kabeir Fires Bullet Work at Belmont
- Keeneland Plans Wide Live Broadcast Coverage
- Untapable Heads Asmussen Workers at Oaklawn