An incentive program to attract out-of-state horses to race in California that has had success over the past four seasons at Del Mar will expand to the entire Southern California racing circuit April 2.
Del Mar's 15-day inaugural fall "Bing Crosby Season" enjoyed a strong opening weekend Nov. 7-9 when compared with last year's figures at Hollywood Park.
"Ship and Win," Del Mar's promotion to bring in out-of-state performers, has attracted hundreds of racehorses over the past three summers and is back for another season in 2014 with its lucrative incentives intact.
With the Del Mar race meet surpassing its mid-point, the seaside California oval continues to experience an increase in betting and decline in attendance.
Del Mar completed its 75th season with sizable increases in purses and on-track and all-source wagering, but attendance took a slight dip during the 37-day meet at the Southern California track that ended Sept. 5.
Fueled by strong on-track and out-of-state simulcast wagering, all-sources handle has increased 3.5% during the first three weeks of racing at Del Mar in Southern California.
The catalog for the inaugural Paddock Sale at Del Mar of Race Ready Horses in Training is now on-line. This auction of 44 racehorseswill be held July 22 in the paddock at Del Mar beginning at about 6:30 p.m. PDT.
Del Mar's first-ever 'race-ready racehorse sale' will be presented in its paddock following the day's live racing July 22. The sale is expected to begin at approximately 6:30 p.m. PDT.
Overall handle figures at Del Mar this summer are down by 5.8% as the seaside track barrels into the second half of its 37-day stand.
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Upsets Risen Star Stakes
- Dortmund Could Return in Triple Bend
- Irish War Cry Ticks All the Boxes in Five-Furlong Work
- Farrell Vaults to Top of Kentucky Oaks Leaderboard
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Winx Soars to Fifteenth Straight Win
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Veteran Kentucky-Based Hot Walker Roche Dies at 91
- Yorkiepoo Princess Scores Again at Aqueduct
- Unified Edges Mind Your Biscuits in GP Sprint