European champion and sire Dayjur was euthanized Sept. 25 at Shadwell Farm in Lexington due to the infirmities of old age, according to an announcement from the farm. He was 26 and had been pensioned since 2010.
Alpine Rose withstood the late challenge of Lady Marian to notch her first group I victory, taking the Darley Prix Jean Romanet (Fr-I) by a short head at Deauville Aug. 23. Earlier in the day, Arcano set a course record in winning the Darley Prix Morny (Fr-I).
Britain's yearling sales season began on a buoyant note when the Doncaster St Leger Sale -- held a week earlier than usual -- broke all previous records.
Tattersalls October Yearling Sale (Part One) saw a new record price Wednesday night when the very last lot into the ring, a Diesis colt out of dual classic-placed Kitza, sold for a million guineas for Irish veterinarian Demi O'Byrne, buying for John Magnier and Michael Tabor.
Sheikh Hamdan's Mutamam made it a Maktoum double at Newmarket Tuesday as the 6-year-old horse took the Princess of Wales's Pearl and Coutts Stakes (Eng-II) by 1 1/2 lengths over Little Rock.
Sheikh Hamdan al Maktoum's homebred Alshakr (by Bahri) defeated Croeso Cariad (Most Welcome) by 1 1/2 lengths in the Falmouth Stakes, Wednesday's featured event on the Newmarket, England card.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Logs Final 'Challenge' Work
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Los Al Gets Spotlight
- Firing Line to Crestwood
- Arrogate Works Toward Seasonal Bow
- Juveniles Showcased at Gulfstream Saturday
- NY Again Considers Continuing Ed for Trainers
- Dutchess Views Lowers Fee for Big Brown
- Pure Sensation Questionable for HK Sprint
- The Devil You Say
- 'Sensation' Still Questionable For HK Sprint