Front-running Warleigh nearly pulled off a theft of Sunday's $172,800 River City Handicap (gr. IIIT) on a yielding Churchill Downs turf, but he could not hold off the relentless charge of upsetter Hard Buck in the final stages.
Erdenheim Farm's two-time defending winner Dr. Kashnikow bids for a rare Churchill Downs 'hat trick' when he takes on a strong field of veteran turf stars in Sunday's $150,000-added River City Handicap (gr. IIIT).
Brazilian import Hard Buck, unbeaten in two races since he arrived in the barn of trainer Ken McPeek, tuned up for his graded stakes debut as he prepped for Sunday's River City Handicap (gr. III) at Churchill Downs with a four-furlong work on Tuesday.
Travers Stakes (gr. I) winner Ten Most Wanted will not race again this year, trainer Wally Dollase said, and will be pointed to the Strub Stakes (gr. II) at Santa Anita early next year.
Iron County Farms Sharbayan rallied in the final furlong under a hand ride by Pat Day for a 1 3/4-length victory in the $138,200 Sycamore Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Keeneland on Saturday. The victory was the fourth in a row for the gelding trained by Wally Dollase.
Augustin Stable's Rochester, who returned to form in the Kentucky Cup Turf Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Kentucky Downs, securing the victory after the disqualification of Art Variety, will try to repeat last year's win in the $150,000 Sycamore Breeders' Cup (gr. IIIT) Saturday at Keeneland.
Most Popular Stories
- Racing's Stars Set for Santa Anita Saturday
- Pinhooking Rookie Scores Big at Keeneland
- Texas Chrome Pointing to Dirt Mile
- Eddie D. Stakes Split Into Divisions
- Team Block relocating Fort Prado to Indiana
- Amid Gloomy Forecast, Illinois Sets Dates
- California Chrome Arrives at Santa Anita
- Broadcast Honors for Santa Anita, NYRA
- Goffs Orby Off to Solid Start
- NBC Will Air Pegasus World Cup