Utopia made all under jockey Yutaka Take to claim the $1 million Godolphin Mile (UAE-II) by four lengths for Japan Saturday night at Nad Al Sheba.
The majority of the American challengers for next Saturday's Dubai World Cup meeting had their first look at the Nad Al Sheba track on Saturday morning, led by Fred Bradley's World Cup (UAE-I) hope, Brass Hat.
Fourteen horses are entered for the $250,000 Malibu Stakes (gr. I) for 3-year-olds Monday, the headline race on opening day of Santa Anita's 71st winter/spring meeting.
Three Del Mar stakes winners head the full field of 10 that was entered this morning for Monday's 61st running of the grade II, $400,000 Del Mar Derby at 1 1/8 miles on the Jimmy Durante Turf Course.
The top three prospects for the Sept. 5 grade II, $400,000 Del Mar Derby put in their final preparations for the race by working at the seaside track Monday.
Despite drifting out in the stretch run, Shamoan held off the outsider Apache Point to win the $250,000 Iowa Derby at Prairie Meadows Friday night.
Al and Saundra Kirkwood's Southern Africa took the overland route with Jon Court but proved to be much the best in winning the $300,000 Walmac Lone Star Derby (gr. III) for 3-year-olds Saturday in Grand Prairie, Texas. Trainer Mike Puhich says the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) could be next for the well-bred son of Cape Town.
Most Popular Stories
- Full Field to Meet Flashback in Malibu
- Swiss Lake Yodeler Solves Soviet Problem
- Mr Speaker Skims to Dania Beach Surprise
- No Jet Lag Can Make Amends in Sir Beaufort
- Sweet Lulu Breaks From Rail in La Brea Clash
- Strapping Groom Much the Best in Gravesend
- Slideshow: A Visit to WinStar Farm
- Baker to Head Operations at Three Chimneys
- Cyber Secret Sets Turfway Mark in Stakes Win
- Elusive Gold Surprises Cape Guineas Field