There are only five entered in the $250,000 Californian (gr. II), a major prep for the Hollywood Gold Cup (gr. I), but the race's big three -- Tiago, Heatseeker, and Surf Cat -- all appear at the top of their games for Hollywood Park's 1 1/8-mile Cushion Track test May 31.
Shamdinan, reunited with trainer Doug O'Neill since the colt's runner-up finish in the 2007 Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT), makes his Southern California debut in Santa Anita's $250,000 San Juan Capistrano Invitational Handicap (gr. IIT).
Midnight Cry Stables' Einstein won the 2006 edition of the Gulfstream Park Turf (gr. IT) and was a close-up third to Jambalaya last year. In this year's $350,000 edition, the son of Spend a Buck returns to the grass after a sixth-place finish over dirt and faces the likes of Dave, Shamdinan, and Zann.
Barclay Tagg, who won last year's Jamaica Handicap (gr. IIT) with Showing Up, has another good chance this year with Nobiz Like Shobiz, who has taken to the turf.
For the connections of the seven horses entered in the $500,000 Man o' War (gr. IT) at Belmont Park Sept. 8, decision time is drawing near for the John Deere Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT).
The French-bred Shamdinan, making his United States debut for new trainer Doug O'Neill and owner Triple B Farms, caught a game Red Giant in the final strides to win the $400,000 Secretariat Stakes (gr. IT) for 3-year-olds at Arlington Park Aug. 11.
Red Giant burst onto the national stage July 21 with a victory at 37-1 in the Virginia Derby (gr. IIT) and the Todd Pletcher trainee could be the horse to beat in the $400,000 Secretariat Stakes (gr. IT) for 3-year-old turf specialists at Arlington Park Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Beholder Fires Bullet, Ready to Rumble
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Nyquist Improving; Exaggerator Jogs Two Miles
- Centeno Recovering in Florida After Spill
- Making the Grade: Exaggerator's Belmont Shot
- Woodward, Hancock to Racing Hall of Fame
- Court Order Has Preciado Racing Again at Parx
- Nine Honored at Walk of Champions Gala