Odds-on choice Sugar Swirl completed an unprecedented sweep of Gulfstream Park's sprint series for fillies and mares with yet another dazzling win for trainer Brian Lynch in the $170,000 Shirley Jones Handicap (gr. II) on March 29.
Sugar Swirl remains a heavy favorite in the rescheduled $200,000 Shirley Jones Handicap (gr. II), which Gulfstream Park had to cancel last weekend due to a day-long rain deluge. But her job could be a little tougher March 29.
Trainer John Sadler has a strong one-two punch with recent grade I winner Dearest Trickski and Lady Gamer in the $300,000 Sunshine Millions Filly & Mare Sprint set for the Santa Anita Cushion Track Jan. 26.
Shaggy Mane is one of 39 fillies and mares nominated to the Sept. 15 Presque Isle Downs Masters Stakes, a $400,000, six-furlong test designed to serve as a prep for the new $1-million Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Sprint.
River's Prayer ran head and head with Shaggy Mane for the first five furlongs before assuming command for good in midstretch to win the $500,000 Princess Rooney Handicap (gr. 1).
An impressive field of fillies and mares, 3-years-old and up will go postward in the Princess Rooney Handicap (gr. I) at Calder Race Course, the 11th race on the Summit of Speed program July 7.
Hystericalady earned the first grade one victory of her career and began a two-race winning streak when she took the 21st running of the $340,800 Humana Distaff Stakes (gr. I) by a definitive four lengths on Saturday at Churchill Downs.
California-bred filly Shaggy Mane took command soon after the start of Saturday's $300,000 Sunshine Millions Filly & Mare Sprint at Gulfstream Park and never looked back under jockey Mark Guidry, romping home a 7 3/4-length winner at odds of nearly 9-to-1.
Most Popular Stories
- Frac Daddy Inherits San Diego's Favorite Role
- Dance With Fate Euthanized After Accident
- Untapable Favored in Haskell Against Boys
- Medea Seeks to Double Up in Matchmaker Stakes
- Pants On Fire Seeks Monmouth Cup Repeat
- Monmouth-Winning Fillies Target Molly Pitcher
- Candy Boy Among 47 West Virginia Derby Noms
- Flashy American Wheels Back for Shuvee 'Cap
- Keeneland Begins Installation of Dirt Surface
- Enhanced Security for Whitney, Travers Horses