A sprained ankle has knocked 3rd Turn Racing Stable's Honor In War, winner of the Woodford Reserve Turf Classic (gr. IT) at Churchill Downs and runner-up in the recent Shadwell Keeneland Turf Mile (gr. IT) at Keeneland, out of consideration for the NetJets Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. I).
Despite a light schedule for turf milers, one contender emerged for the NetJets Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) in the form of Startac.
Keeneland officials announced Wednesday the track's fall meeting will feature 19 stakes races, including an opening weekend featuring six graded stakes races. The 19 stakes races--11 of which are graded--will be worth a total of $4,425,000. Racing begins Friday, Oct. 4 and continues through Saturday, Oct. 26.
After a two-day meeting in Lexington, Ky., the American Graded Stakes Committee on Thursday released the list of stakes races that will have graded status in 2002. As a result of the committee's review, which uses a five-year formula to assess races and assign graded status, there is a net gain of eight graded races in 2002, bringing to 486 the number of races assigned graded status from the 751 eligible races.
Super Quercus returns to the races for the first time since winning the 1999 Early Times Hollywood Derby Stakes (gr. IT) in Saturday's Shadwell Keeneland Turf Mile (gr. IIT) on opening day at Keeneland.
Most Popular Stories
- Stanford Among Seven for Curlin Stakes
- Belmont Average Handle, Attendance Decline
- Lenny's Place: Hall of Fame Edition
- ABR Releases Another Digital Video Ad
- Curalina Gets CCA Oaks After 'Chatterbox' DQ
- Track Defends Trainer Suspended for Positive
- Wild Dude Stuns Masochistic in Bing Crosby
- Durkin Named TCA Honored Guest
- French Bloodstock Agent Moquet Dies at Age 46
- Reports of Mares Bred Due by Aug. 1.