Graded stakes winner Shadow of Illinois beat the odds when he successfully returned to the track after a multi-year layoff. Watch Video
Jet West, a 5-year-old California-bred sprinter claimed by trainer Ted H. West for $62,000 in August, seeks his fourth straight victory for his new connections Monday in Santa Anita's $100,000 El Conejo Handicap (gr. III).
King Robyn, a winner of 12 of his 24 career starts, is one of two strong contenders that leading trainer Jeff Mullins sends out in the $100,000 Morvich Handicap (gr. IIIT) for sprinters on the lawn at Santa Anita's Oak Tree meeting Sunday.
Hombre Rapido, an 8-year-old gelding who has competed in the last three runnings of the Los Angeles Times Handicap (gr. III) for sprinters, will attempt to emulate his 2003 victory when facing five rivals Saturday in the $150,000 renewal at Hollywood Park.
Shadow of Illinois, a 5-year-old California-bred gelding, won the $100,000 San Simeon Handicap (gr. IIIT) under Mark Guidry on the hillside turf course Monday to give trainer Anthony Saavedra his first-ever stakes win at Santa Anita Park and his first graded stakes win in Southern California on the closing day of the meet.
Santa Anita Park's 70th anniversary season concludes Monday with the $100,000-added San Simeon Handicap (gr. IIT) highlighting the finale of the 85-day winter/spring meeting.
Most Popular Stories
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Saez to Ride J Boys Echo in Kentucky Derby
- Stewart to Train, Manage Latest Churchill Racing Club
- Syndergaard to Make 2017 Debut in William Walker
- Derby, Oaks Notes From Churchill Downs, April 26
- High-Profile Owners Team Up to Buy Expensive Colt
- Medaglia d'Oro Colt New OBS Sale Topper
- Bolo Back Home at Santa Anita for Thunder Road
- Multiple Grade 1 Winner I'm a Chatterbox Retired
- Private Zone Retired to Old Friends