Graded stakes winner Shadow of Illinois beat the odds when he successfully returned to the track after a multi-year layoff. Watch Video
Jet West, a 5-year-old California-bred sprinter claimed by trainer Ted H. West for $62,000 in August, seeks his fourth straight victory for his new connections Monday in Santa Anita's $100,000 El Conejo Handicap (gr. III).
King Robyn, a winner of 12 of his 24 career starts, is one of two strong contenders that leading trainer Jeff Mullins sends out in the $100,000 Morvich Handicap (gr. IIIT) for sprinters on the lawn at Santa Anita's Oak Tree meeting Sunday.
Hombre Rapido, an 8-year-old gelding who has competed in the last three runnings of the Los Angeles Times Handicap (gr. III) for sprinters, will attempt to emulate his 2003 victory when facing five rivals Saturday in the $150,000 renewal at Hollywood Park.
Shadow of Illinois, a 5-year-old California-bred gelding, won the $100,000 San Simeon Handicap (gr. IIIT) under Mark Guidry on the hillside turf course Monday to give trainer Anthony Saavedra his first-ever stakes win at Santa Anita Park and his first graded stakes win in Southern California on the closing day of the meet.
Santa Anita Park's 70th anniversary season concludes Monday with the $100,000-added San Simeon Handicap (gr. IIT) highlighting the finale of the 85-day winter/spring meeting.
Most Popular Stories
- Lady Eli Heads Brown's Belmont Oaks Hand
- Divisidero, Bolo Meet in Deep Belmont Derby
- Kentuckian Tops Los Alamitos Derby Field
- Texas Red Provides Dwyer Stakes Star Power
- Classic Winner Tonalist Towers Over Suburban
- Wise Dan Cleared to Resume Full Training
- Grade I Winners Meet in Belmont Sprint
- Twining Dies in Japan at Age 24
- Miss Ella, 'Silver' Back for Victory Ride
- Trainer Walsh Says Mistake Led to Positive