It didn't go as smoothly as planned but odds-on choice Silver Max got the job done anyway in the $600,000 Virginia Derby (gr. IIT), registering his sixth consecutive turf win on yielding ground at Colonial Downs July 21.
Silver Max took the lead soon after the start and was never headed as he staved off a couple of late challengers to win the American Turf Stakes (gr. IIT) at Churchill Downs May 4.
Silver Max, allowed to clear the field early, left his rivals in the $100,000 Transylvania Stakes (gr. IIIT) behind leaving the turn and romped to his first graded stakes win on opening day of the Keeneland spring meet.
Most Popular Stories
- Full Field of 14 Contest Wide-Open Modesty
- Kentucky Horses Lose a Friend in Vet Byars
- Sky Lantern Takes Second Crack at Falmouth
- Hoppertunity Heading Home to California
- Stars and Stripes Good Spot for Suntracer
- Princess of Sylmar Seeks Del 'Cap Rebound
- Boisterous Holds Class Edge in Bowling Green
- Admiral Kitten Back at Arlington Park
- Hialeah Sees New Thoroughbred Opportunity
- Our Channel Makes Trek for American Derby