It didn't go as smoothly as planned but odds-on choice Silver Max got the job done anyway in the $600,000 Virginia Derby (gr. IIT), registering his sixth consecutive turf win on yielding ground at Colonial Downs July 21.
Silver Max took the lead soon after the start and was never headed as he staved off a couple of late challengers to win the American Turf Stakes (gr. IIT) at Churchill Downs May 4.
Silver Max, allowed to clear the field early, left his rivals in the $100,000 Transylvania Stakes (gr. IIIT) behind leaving the turn and romped to his first graded stakes win on opening day of the Keeneland spring meet.
Most Popular Stories
- Dortmund Back to Training After Injury
- Royal Posse Aces Evan Shipman Stakes Debut
- NYTHA Executive Director Gallagher Retires
- Horseplayers Support USADA Oversight
- Pedigree Analysis: Caro
- Handle Flat, Race Days Down in August
- Ironicus Has New Challenge in Bernard Baruch
- Fasig-Tipton to Sponsor Two KY Downs Stakes
- Renamed First Winner for Everyday Heroes
- Five Sires Have Two Challenge Race Winners