Grade I winner and foundation broodmare Too Chic was euthanized Wednesday at Middlebrook Farm near Lexington, Ky. due to the infirmities of old age.
Emory A. Hamilton's homebred Serra Lake has been retired from racing following an unplaced effort in the Oct. 6 Beldame Stakes (gr. I) at Belmont Park and arrived Oct. 19 at Helen Alexander's Middlebrook Farm near Lexington.
Beautiful Pleasure will go to the lead in Friday's grade I $400,000 Personal Ensign Handicap at Saratoga and a field of six young guns will be on her heels looking to stop her chance for a three-peat in the 1 1/4-mile event.
It's that time of the year when trainer Bobby Frankel takes over, as his Lido Palace upsets Albert the Great in the Whitney.
Emory Hamilton's homebred Serra Lake rallied in the stretch to win Sunday's $250,000 Go for Wand Handicap (gr. I) at Saratoga. Under a well-timed ride from Edgar Prado, Serra Lake completed the 1 1/8 miles in 1:49.62 on a fast track.
Critical Eye swept to the lead in the final strides to win Saturday's $250,000 Hempstead Handicap (gr. I) by a neck over Jostle at Belmont Park. The win marks the second career grade I victory for the New York-bred daughter of Dynaformer.
Beautiful Pleasure, the champion older mare of 1999, will make her first start of the year in Saturday's grade I Hempstead Handicap at Belmont Park where the 6-year-old mare will face seven rivals in the 1 1/16 mile contest, including stablemate Darling My Darling. Beautiful Pleasure races for John Oxley while Darling My Darling races for his wife, Debby Oxley, both are trained by John and Donna Ward.
Disco Rico cut all the fractions and still had plenty in the tank to easily win the $200,000 Maryland Breeders' Cup (gr. III) Saturday at Pimlico, the race preceeding the Preakness (gr. I).
Most Popular Stories
- Irap Gets Best of Girvin in Ohio Derby
- California Sire Benchmark Dead at 26
- 'Hermaphrodite' Reported Before Race at Santa Anita
- Battle of Midway Cruises to Affirmed Victory
- Collected Dominant Again in Precisionist Stakes
- Brothers in Arms: Idaho Takes Hardwicke Stakes
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Mind Your Biscuits Emerges Well From Bullet Work
- Finley'sluckycharm Makes it Three in a Row in Chicago
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup