Bart Cummings, the old man of Australian racing, scored his 12th victory in the Emirates Melbourne Cup (Aus-I) when his 40-1 shot Viewed won a nose photo finish over Irish challenger Bauer during the 148th running of the world's biggest handicap event at Flemington racecourse on Nov. 4.
Septimus powered his way to a 13-length victory in the Irish Field St. Leger (Ire-I), enabling trainer Aidan O'Brien to sweep all five Irish classic races this season. In doing so, O'Brien became the first trainer in 73 years to accomplish such a feat.
Promising Lead landed her first group I victory with a comfortable 1 1/4-length win over Mad About You in the Audi Pretty Polly Stakes (Ire-I) at the Curragh June 28.
Septimus took command with two furlongs left to run to score a dominating five-length victory in the GNER Doncaster Cup (Eng-II) Sept. 14.
There will never be any questions regarding Septimus' stamina after the 4-year-old colt's convincing victory in the Weatherbys Insurance Lonsdale Cup (Eng-II) at York August 21.
Scorpion led home an Aidan O'Brien exacta as the 2005 Ladbrokes St. Leger (Eng-I) winner powered to the wire 1 1/4 lengths clear of stablemate Septimus in the Vodafone Coronation Cup (Eng-I) at Epsom on Friday.
The Andre Fabre-trained Visindar heads 33 horses going forward for the £1,250,000 Vodafone Derby, run at Epsom Downs on Saturday, June 3, following Friday's forfeit stage.
For most of the week leading up to Saturday's Racing Post Trophy (Eng-I), most of the focus had been on colts trained by Sir Michael Stoute and Aidan O'Brien.
Most Popular Stories
- Kettle Corn Retired, Will Stand in Ohio
- Tournaments Growing Fans and Owners
- Top Mare Nastique Dies at 29
- Panelists to Horse Racing: Spin Isn't In
- St Nicholas Abbey Progresses in Recovery
- Immediate Effects of Shoeing on Horses' Movement
- Giving 'L' Legitimacy - Eric Mitchell
- Racing is Ripe for More Advanced Statistics
- NYRA Chief Discusses Aspects of Growth Plan
- BloodHorse.com New Navigation Tour