Upstart Separate Forest opened a substantial lead in her stakes debut and refused to give way to heavy favorite Unzip Me to win the $100,000 Las Cienegas Handicap (gr. IIIT) by a neck at Santa Anita.
Grade I winner Pleasantly Perfect was represented by his first winner when a daughter, Quite the Lady, won June 7 at Arlington Park in her first start.
Carl F. Pollard's Caressing, the 2000 Eclipse Award-winning two-year-old filly who captured the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (GI) here at Churchill Downs last November, made a triumphant return to competition Thursday with a powerful victory in the featured grade III $121,000 La Troienne Stakes. Also on the card, Chilean-bred Separata, an invader from California trained by new Hall of Fame inductee Richard Mandella, sped to the front shortly after the start and never was seriously threatened in winning the $109,700 Mamzelle Stakes for older fillies and mares today at Churchill Down
Jockey Eddie Delahoussaye completed a sweep of the two stakes races at Santa Anita Sunday when he piloted 9-10 favorite Go Go to a two-length win in the $109,500 Las Cienegas (gr. IIIT). Earlier on the card, the veteran rider guided 3-year-old Trailthefox to a one-length win as the 3-5 favorite in the $105,800 Zany Tactics Stakes.
Most Popular Stories
- China Horse Club Buys into California Chrome
- Nobiz Like Shobiz Settling in at Old Friends
- Stellar Wind Works in Company for Distaff
- Frosted Confirmed for Breeders' Cup Classic
- Quidura Reigns for Motion in Valley View
- Report: Dips in Stallion, Mares-Bred Numbers
- Beholder Blazes in Breeders' Cup Drill
- 'Stubborn' Runhappy Works a Mile at Keeneland
- Mr. Nightlinger Moved to Mighty Acres
- Court Rules Borells Have No Claim on Horses