It's anybody's race as 11 sprinters line up for 6 1/2-furlong Polytrack test at Woodbine.
Belmont Sprint (gr. III) stakes winner Clearly Now takes on nine opponents as he attempts to duplicate his Herculean performance in the $500,000 Forego Stakes (gr. I) Aug. 30 at Saratoga Race Course.
Veteran campaigner Strapping Groom, winner of the Forego Stakes (gr. I) over a muddy track last year, has been installed the 7-5 morning line choice in the field of seven drawn for the March 1 Tom Fool Handicap (gr. III).
Strapping Groom makes his return to the graded ranks Feb. 1 at Aqueduct Racetrack in the $150,000 Toboggan Stakes (gr. III), a six-furlong sprint on the Withers (gr. III) undercard.
On paper, a decent case can be made for all dozen 3-year-olds entered in the $750,000 Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (gr. I), possibly opening the door for yet another outsider to jump into the Triple Crown mix.
Todd Pletcher sent out Bittel Road and Interactif to win the With Anticipation the past two years and will have another live chance when he sends out Sensational Slam in a field of 10 and two also-eligibles.
PORTER ON PEDIGREES, by Alan Porter
From a Sex Appeal family branch that has rarely hit in recent generations, United Nations (gr. IT) winner Chinchon was bred on a smart family inbreeding pattern.
Most Popular Stories
- Kentucky Neglect Case Under Investigation
- No Horses Injured in Pennsylvania Barn Fire
- Major Expansion Planned for Aqueduct Casino
- Cuomo Administration Fires Back at Criticism
- Japan Races added to BC Challenge Series
- Mo Tom Clear Winner in Ohio Derby
- Melatonin Game in Gold Cup Victory
- Europeans Set for Belmont Derby, Oaks
- KY-Bred Ryans Charm Scores Repeat in Peru GI
- Into Mischief Filly MHBA Yearling Show Champ