The Florida Senate approved March 13 two slot-machine bills that would help the state's Thoroughbred racetracks and other pari-mutuel facilities. However, there is considerable opposition to the bills in the Florida House of Representatives, and the influential Seminole Tribe of Florida is expressing concerns about the legislation.
Two bills that would help Thoroughbred racetracks, the Ocala Breeders' Sales Co., and the state's other pari-mutuel facilities will be on the calendar when the Florida legislature begins its annual two-month session March 4.
The independent pari-mutuel monitoring system offered by RCI Integrity Services has been endorsed by the National Council of Legislators from Gaming States.
- By Scott Davis
Churchill Downs Inc. president Tom Meeker addressed the National Council of Legislators from Gaming States Jan. 11 with calls for regulatory consistency across jurisdictions and support for expanding racetrack gambling.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup
- Mind Your Biscuits Aims to Give Summers First Win
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 21, 2017
- Look Back: Summer Squall Answers Questions in Jim Beam
- Conquest Mo Money Carries Local Hopes in Sunland Derby
- Highland Reel Among World Cup Day Turf Runners
- Classic Empire Back to Work in Ocala
- Gun Runner Brings Consistent Class to World Cup Stage
- Hope Floats for Hoppertunity in Dubai World Cup
- Mastery to Claiborne Farm Upon Retirement