New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo's plan to create gambling competition for racetrack-based casinos was a topic of an hour-long, closed-door meeting June 18 with legislative leaders trying to end the 2013 legislative session.
The nation's financial crisis has stepped up efforts to prod state government in New York to select an operator for the long-stalled video lottery terminal casino at Aqueduct, and launched a renewed effort to bring VLTs to Belmont Park.
Issues related to Belmont Park and the surrounding community will be the focus of the next New York Senate hearing on the franchise to operate the three-track Thoroughbred racing franchise.
Most Popular Stories
- Beholder Work Moved After Del Mar Breakdowns
- Exaggerator Questionable for Jim Dandy
- Bitumen Rallies to Sanford Score
- Stradivari Sustains Career-Ending Injury
- Fair Eva First Stakes Winner for Frankel
- Enola Gray Still Unbeaten After Del Mar Romp
- 7-Year-Old Gelding Wins First Start at Ellis
- Highland Reel Leads Every Step in King George
- Blame Angel Wins a Day After Trainer's Death
- Apprentice Aparicio Rides First U.S. Winner