New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo's plan to create gambling competition for racetrack-based casinos was a topic of an hour-long, closed-door meeting June 18 with legislative leaders trying to end the 2013 legislative session.
The nation's financial crisis has stepped up efforts to prod state government in New York to select an operator for the long-stalled video lottery terminal casino at Aqueduct, and launched a renewed effort to bring VLTs to Belmont Park.
Issues related to Belmont Park and the surrounding community will be the focus of the next New York Senate hearing on the franchise to operate the three-track Thoroughbred racing franchise.
Most Popular Stories
- Condo Commando 'Splash-tastic' in Spinaway
- Midnight Storm Shakes Up Del Mar Derby
- Jo Jo Warrior Helps Zayat Celebrate Birthday
- Wise Dan Passes Return Test in Flying Colors
- Wise Dan Victorious in Bernard Baruch Return
- Itsmyluckyday Unlikely to Return in Gold Cup
- Plesa Sweeps Juvenile Stakes at Monmouth
- Rake Farms, Butler Dominate Minnesota Card
- Stonestreet Has Star in Making in Atreides
- Irish Mission Gets Job Done in Glens Falls