Shirocco made many believers in the States last fall with his impressive win in the John Deere Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) at Belmont Park. But after the 5-year-old Andre Fabre trainee's easy win in his first race of the 2006 season, the Jockey Club Stakes (Eng-II) at Newmarket Sunday, it is possible that he could be the next big thing in European racing.
Outsider Lochbuie, hard-ridden by jockey John Egan for the final quarter-mile, caught the gallant 8-year-old Mubtaker in the final strides to register a neck victory in the Geoffrey Freer Stakes (Eng-II) at Newbury Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Gulfstream Builds Stalls for Displaced Horses
- Dortmund Wins Dramatic Los Alamitos Futurity
- Leading Laurel Rider McCarthy Breaks Wrist
- Asmussen, Albarado Team for Four-Win Day
- CHRB Eyes Scratching of Unreported Geldings
- Favored Act of War Captures Cape Guineas
- Trainer James DiVito Collects 1,000th Win
- California Chrome Drills at Los Alamitos
- Bayern Turns in Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Rodenticide Linked to Six Sudden Horse Deaths