Shirocco made many believers in the States last fall with his impressive win in the John Deere Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) at Belmont Park. But after the 5-year-old Andre Fabre trainee's easy win in his first race of the 2006 season, the Jockey Club Stakes (Eng-II) at Newmarket Sunday, it is possible that he could be the next big thing in European racing.
Outsider Lochbuie, hard-ridden by jockey John Egan for the final quarter-mile, caught the gallant 8-year-old Mubtaker in the final strides to register a neck victory in the Geoffrey Freer Stakes (Eng-II) at Newbury Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- BC Classic: How Weak Are the Older Horses?
- Hollendorfer: Shared Belief Has 'Great' Work
- Trainer D'Amato's Success Long Time in Coming
- Foreign Policy to Stand at River Oaks Farms
- O'Neill and Racing's Slow Regulatory Process
- KY Necropsy Program Disproves 'Bad Step' Myth
- CT Classic Could Move to Afternoon in 2015
- Live Chat - Thursday, October 23 at NOON EST
- What's Going On Here: Gary Player's Top 10
- Leagues Seek to Halt New Jersey Sports Bets