Shirocco made many believers in the States last fall with his impressive win in the John Deere Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) at Belmont Park. But after the 5-year-old Andre Fabre trainee's easy win in his first race of the 2006 season, the Jockey Club Stakes (Eng-II) at Newmarket Sunday, it is possible that he could be the next big thing in European racing.
Outsider Lochbuie, hard-ridden by jockey John Egan for the final quarter-mile, caught the gallant 8-year-old Mubtaker in the final strides to register a neck victory in the Geoffrey Freer Stakes (Eng-II) at Newbury Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Jockey Morales Posts 1,000th Career Victory
- Heir Kitty Set for Return in Great Lady M
- Equine Infectious Disease Outbreak Response 101
- Kentucky Horses Lose a Friend in Vet Byars
- Uniform Drug Program Picking Up Support
- Hoppertunity Heading Home to California
- Full Field of 14 Contest Wide-Open Modesty
- Hialeah Sees New Thoroughbred Opportunity
- Princess of Sylmar Seeks Del 'Cap Rebound
- Panel: Change in Culture Needed in Racing