When he perused the entries for Gulfstream's Jan. 5 Appleton Handicap (gr. IIT), trainer Mohammed Moubarak was especially familiar with one of the entrants. "I think Tubrok is the horse to beat," he said of the 5-year-old son of Rahy, the second choice of 10 runners owing, in part, to the powerful connections of trainer Bill Mott and rider Jerry Bailey.
An overflow field of 14 turf runners has been entered for the one-mile, $150,000 Appleton Handicap (gr. IIT) at Gulfstream Park Saturday. The field includes two horses owned and bred by Arthur Appleton, for whom the race is named.
Most Popular Stories
- Ken Ramsey on Kitten's Joy
- Stallion Monba Represented by First Winner
- Santa Anita Reducing Takeout on Daily Double
- Calder Releases 2014 Partial Stakes Schedule
- De La Cruz Soars at Tampa Bay With 4-Bagger
- TimeformUS: The Hollywood Park Swan Song
- King Kamehameha Son Dominates in Hong Kong
- No Deal Yet on Will Take Charge, Horton Says
- Cibelli Wins Her First Race After 60-Day Ban
- City Wolf Joins Roster at Pleasant Acres