When he perused the entries for Gulfstream's Jan. 5 Appleton Handicap (gr. IIT), trainer Mohammed Moubarak was especially familiar with one of the entrants. "I think Tubrok is the horse to beat," he said of the 5-year-old son of Rahy, the second choice of 10 runners owing, in part, to the powerful connections of trainer Bill Mott and rider Jerry Bailey.
An overflow field of 14 turf runners has been entered for the one-mile, $150,000 Appleton Handicap (gr. IIT) at Gulfstream Park Saturday. The field includes two horses owned and bred by Arthur Appleton, for whom the race is named.
Most Popular Stories
- Retro Rebel: Smarty Jones Wowed in 2004
- Gulfstream Uses Graded Stakes Testing Fund
- Louisiana Bills to Reduce Dates, Slots Money
- Downey: Derby Trail, Where They're Going Next
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 3/11/2014
- Turfway to Boost Purses With KTDF Supplements
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- Horses to Watch at OBS March Sale
- Native Diver to Receive New Resting Place
- Mining My Own Produces Bodemeister Filly