When he perused the entries for Gulfstream's Jan. 5 Appleton Handicap (gr. IIT), trainer Mohammed Moubarak was especially familiar with one of the entrants. "I think Tubrok is the horse to beat," he said of the 5-year-old son of Rahy, the second choice of 10 runners owing, in part, to the powerful connections of trainer Bill Mott and rider Jerry Bailey.
An overflow field of 14 turf runners has been entered for the one-mile, $150,000 Appleton Handicap (gr. IIT) at Gulfstream Park Saturday. The field includes two horses owned and bred by Arthur Appleton, for whom the race is named.
Most Popular Stories
- Large Crowd Watches American Pharoah Gallop
- More Than Just a Name for Run for Retts
- Badilla Earns Emotional Win at Golden Gate
- Team Texas Red Partners With TV Star
- Shadwell Sire Bahri Pensioned in England
- American Pharoah Takes Easy Gallop at Spa
- Champion Divine Fortune Dies After Fall
- Lubash Takes West Point for Second Time
- NBC Schedules Two-Hour Travers Broadcast
- Belmont Winner Palace Malice Retired