In an impressive display of gameness and power, Sahara Sky drove between horses in the stretch and struck for a repeat win in the $250,000 San Carlos Stakes (gr. II) March 8 at Santa Anita Park.
PORTER ON PEDIGREES, by Alan Porter
Conceived in Kentucky, foaled in Florida, and trained in Southern California, Sahara Sky made another cross-country journey to secure his first grade I victory.
Sahara Sky, invading from Southern California for trainer Jerry Hollendorfer, needed every inch of the long Belmont Park stretch run to catch pacesetting Cross Traffic in a heart-pounding finish to the Metropolitan Handicap.
Sahara Sky, benefitting once again by a super-hot pace, flew home on the outside to capture the $200,750 San Carlos Stakes Feb. 23 for his second grade II stakes win in a row at Santa Anita Park.
Sahara Sky took advantage of a blistering pace to tally a one-length victory from off the pace for a 21-1 upset in the $150,500 Palos Verdes Stakes (gr. II) Jan. 19 at Santa Anita Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Successful Owner/Breeder Aaron Jones Dies
- McEvoy Steps Down as Godolphin Jockey
- Champion Will Take Charge Retired
- Bayern Cruises to Pennsylvania Derby Win
- Goldencents to Remain in California
- Juddmonte's Elite Miler Kingman Retired
- Consignors Busy Ahead of Louisiana Sale
- Indiana Immediately Suspends Two Licensees
- Shared Belief Needs to be Awesome...Again
- Slideshow: Progeny of Lemon Drop Kid