Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) winner California Chrome has been selected to receive the 2014 Secretariat Vox Populi Award.
For the third time, two-time Horse of the Year Wise Dan is among six horses on the ballot for this year's Secretariat Vox Populi Award.
The 5-year-old son of Macho Uno was the unanimous choice among three voting bodies.
After seeing reaction to their initial five nominees, Penny Chenery and the Secretariat Vox Populi Committee have added two more nominees in Paynter and Shackleford.
A day after it was announced that Rapid Redux would receive the Special Eclipse Award for his accomplishments in 2011, the 5-year-old chestnut was named winner of the Secretariat Vox Populi Award.
As retirement looms for Rapid Redux, the trainer of the horse that tied Citation's modern day record for most wins in a year is seeking a retirement home for the 5-year-old gelding.
Online voting is now open for the second annual Secretariat Vox Populi Award. Created by Secretariat's owner Penny Chenery, the award recognizes the racehorse whose popularity and excellence resounded most with the public.
Several hundred fans lined up well into Seabiscuit Court at Santa Anita Feb. 5 for a glimpse of Penny Chenery and Team Zenyatta on a day the 2010 Horse of the Year was to receive the first Secretariat Vox Populi Award.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Draws Post 13, is 3-1 Derby Favorite
- Field of 22 Set for 142nd Kentucky Derby
- Fresh Horses Plentiful in 2016 Kentucky Derby
- Ramseys Go It Alone with Oscar Nominated
- Rachel's Valentina 7-2 Oaks Favorite
- Full Gate for Pat Day Mile
- Bensons Hope to Let Good Times Roll in Derby
- Trainer Abrams Takes Leave of Absence
- Gryder Seeks First Derby With Trojan Nation
- Nyquist Jogs, Schools at Churchill Downs