The 5-year-old son of Macho Uno was the unanimous choice among three voting bodies.
After seeing reaction to their initial five nominees, Penny Chenery and the Secretariat Vox Populi Committee have added two more nominees in Paynter and Shackleford.
A day after it was announced that Rapid Redux would receive the Special Eclipse Award for his accomplishments in 2011, the 5-year-old chestnut was named winner of the Secretariat Vox Populi Award.
As retirement looms for Rapid Redux, the trainer of the horse that tied Citation's modern day record for most wins in a year is seeking a retirement home for the 5-year-old gelding.
Online voting is now open for the second annual Secretariat Vox Populi Award. Created by Secretariat's owner Penny Chenery, the award recognizes the racehorse whose popularity and excellence resounded most with the public.
Several hundred fans lined up well into Seabiscuit Court at Santa Anita Feb. 5 for a glimpse of Penny Chenery and Team Zenyatta on a day the 2010 Horse of the Year was to receive the first Secretariat Vox Populi Award.
Most Popular Stories
- Slideshow: Progeny of Lemon Drop Kid
- Successful Owner/Breeder Aaron Jones Dies
- McEvoy Steps Down as Godolphin Jockey
- Champion Will Take Charge Retired
- Bayern Cruises to Pennsylvania Derby Win
- Goldencents to Remain in California
- Juddmonte's Elite Miler Kingman Retired
- Indiana Immediately Suspends Two Licensees
- Consignors Busy Ahead of Louisiana Sale
- Shared Belief Needs to be Awesome...Again