Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) winner California Chrome has been selected to receive the 2014 Secretariat Vox Populi Award.
For the third time, two-time Horse of the Year Wise Dan is among six horses on the ballot for this year's Secretariat Vox Populi Award.
The 5-year-old son of Macho Uno was the unanimous choice among three voting bodies.
After seeing reaction to their initial five nominees, Penny Chenery and the Secretariat Vox Populi Committee have added two more nominees in Paynter and Shackleford.
A day after it was announced that Rapid Redux would receive the Special Eclipse Award for his accomplishments in 2011, the 5-year-old chestnut was named winner of the Secretariat Vox Populi Award.
As retirement looms for Rapid Redux, the trainer of the horse that tied Citation's modern day record for most wins in a year is seeking a retirement home for the 5-year-old gelding.
Online voting is now open for the second annual Secretariat Vox Populi Award. Created by Secretariat's owner Penny Chenery, the award recognizes the racehorse whose popularity and excellence resounded most with the public.
Several hundred fans lined up well into Seabiscuit Court at Santa Anita Feb. 5 for a glimpse of Penny Chenery and Team Zenyatta on a day the 2010 Horse of the Year was to receive the first Secretariat Vox Populi Award.
Most Popular Stories
- Zayat, Romans Want to See Prayer for Relief in Pegasus
- Arrogate Sails Through Penultimate Work for Pegasus Cup
- Classic Empire Aims for Season Debut in Holy Bull
- Noble Bird May Start in Pegasus
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm
- California Chrome Focused in Penultimate Move
- New York trainer/breeder DiSanto Dies at 62
- Lockdown Cruises in Busanda Win
- Grade 1 Winner Bradester to Stud at Valor Farm
- High Profile Fillies in Fair Grounds Stakes