The Secretariat Turf Course at Colonial Downs was intentionally set ablaze March 22 as the Virginia track undertook a "controlled burn" in an effort to get the grass to re-grow in time for the meet that begins June 2.
Colonial Downs in Virginia is prepared for a rather hot start to its 2008 meet, which gets under way the evening of June 9.
Colonial Downs near New Kent, Va., ended its seventh Thoroughbred meet with records in total handle, on-track handle, and daily average total handle.
Most Popular Stories
- Irish War Cry Solid in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Another Big Finish for McCraken in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Alert Bay Repeats in San Francisco Mile
- Battalion Runner, Malagacy to Bypass Kentucky Derby
- Fast and Accurate Works Five Furlongs at Churchill
- Thunder Snow Confirmed for Kentucky Derby
- Fast Work Provides Relief for Girvin's Connections
- Trust in Tammy: Fox Taught J Boys Echo His Lessons Well
- Kitasan Black Dominates in Tenno Sho
- Gormley Puts in Unconventional Final Derby Work