Affluent and jockey Alex Solis found room on the inside behind a wall of horses in the stretch and went on to defeat heavily-favored Sightseek in the Santa Monica Handicap (gr. I) for fillies and mares Saturday at Santa Anita.
Jockey Patrick Valenzuela found room along the rail and shot even-money favorite Starrer through the opening at the top of the stretch, going on to a five-length victory in the $150,000 Bayakoa Handicap (gr. II) Sunday at Hollywood Park.
Starrer worked six furlongs in 1:14.60 at Hollywood Park Sunday morning under exercise rider Michelle Jensen in preparation for defense of her Bayakoa Handicap (gr. II) crown next Sunday.
Most Popular Stories
- A Look Back at Gallant Fox's Arlington Classic
- Lady Eli Brings Her Class to Gamely
- Midnight Storm Seeks Grade 1 Dirt Win in Gold Cup
- Leslie's Lady in Foal to American Pharoah
- CHRB Discusses Creating Single California Circuit
- Classic Empire to Coolmore on Retirement
- Asmussen Earns $50,000 Preakness Weekend Bonus
- The Greatest Performance No One Has Seen
- Enola Gray, Illuminant Look Strong in Monrovia Field
- Curlin Colt Sets Midlantic Record at $1.5 Million