Affluent and jockey Alex Solis found room on the inside behind a wall of horses in the stretch and went on to defeat heavily-favored Sightseek in the Santa Monica Handicap (gr. I) for fillies and mares Saturday at Santa Anita.
Jockey Patrick Valenzuela found room along the rail and shot even-money favorite Starrer through the opening at the top of the stretch, going on to a five-length victory in the $150,000 Bayakoa Handicap (gr. II) Sunday at Hollywood Park.
Starrer worked six furlongs in 1:14.60 at Hollywood Park Sunday morning under exercise rider Michelle Jensen in preparation for defense of her Bayakoa Handicap (gr. II) crown next Sunday.
Most Popular Stories
- Successful Owner/Breeder Aaron Jones Dies
- Heart to Heart Among Eight for Jefferson Cup
- Al Shaqab's Toronado to National Stud in 2015
- Shared Belief Needs to be Awesome...Again
- Juddmonte's Elite Miler Kingman Retired
- Champion Will Take Charge Retired
- Goldencents to Remain in California
- Indiana Immediately Suspends Two Licensees
- Departing, Carve Set for Homecoming Classic
- Tonalist, V. E. Day Work at Belmont Park