Mary and Gary West's 5-year-old Florida-bred mare Sweet Lips won the Sunshine Millions Distaff at Santa Anita last year for trainer Bobby Frankel and has been training at Gulfstream since early December for a title defense in Saturday's $500,000 Ocala Breeders' Sales Distaff.
Penny's Fortune, a Kentucky-bred daughter of Storm Cat who cost $650,000 at the 2002 Keeneland September yearling sale, surged to the lead entering the stretch and went on to a two-length victory in the $57,825 Carmel Handicap at Bay Meadows Sunday.
Arnold Zetcher's House of Fortune ran away to a 17-length victory over three outclassed rivals in the $77,025 California Oaks at Golden Gate Fields Saturday.
Boxed in at the quarter pole, Heavenly Humor and jockey Kevin Radke found room at the head of the stretch and went on to a five-length win in Saturday's $64,650 Miss California Stakes for 3-year-old fillies at Golden Gate Fields.
Most Popular Stories
- BC Juvenile Winner Texas Red Retired
- Trainer Brown Gearing Up for Gulfstream
- A Look Back at A.P. Indy's Hollywood Futurity
- Promising Mastery Heads Los Al Futurity Field
- Holy Bull Stakes Goal for Gunnevera
- Wall, McKay Named to Media Honor Roll
- Three Rules Being Considered for Swale Stakes
- Oxley Makes Pledge to Grayson-Jockey Club
- Top Global Runners Vie in Hong Kong Races
- Del Mar to Pay Out Consolations for Pick 6