Mary and Gary West's 5-year-old Florida-bred mare Sweet Lips won the Sunshine Millions Distaff at Santa Anita last year for trainer Bobby Frankel and has been training at Gulfstream since early December for a title defense in Saturday's $500,000 Ocala Breeders' Sales Distaff.
Penny's Fortune, a Kentucky-bred daughter of Storm Cat who cost $650,000 at the 2002 Keeneland September yearling sale, surged to the lead entering the stretch and went on to a two-length victory in the $57,825 Carmel Handicap at Bay Meadows Sunday.
Arnold Zetcher's House of Fortune ran away to a 17-length victory over three outclassed rivals in the $77,025 California Oaks at Golden Gate Fields Saturday.
Boxed in at the quarter pole, Heavenly Humor and jockey Kevin Radke found room at the head of the stretch and went on to a five-length win in Saturday's $64,650 Miss California Stakes for 3-year-old fillies at Golden Gate Fields.
Most Popular Stories
- KY Necropsy Program Disproves 'Bad Step' Myth
- F-T October Sale Gains Across Board at Opener
- Rockingham Park Selling Most of Stable Area
- Sweet Reason Set for BC Filly and Mare Sprint
- Claimer Seeking the Sherif Reaches BC Sprint
- Two-Time Champion Beholder Out of BC Distaff
- Bullet Move for Likely BC Juvenile Favorite
- Jockeys' Guild, RTCA Set Up Saez Family Fund
- U.S. Juvenile Turf Fillies Await Euro Attack
- F-T October Yearling Sale Recap Day 1