Mary and Gary West's 5-year-old Florida-bred mare Sweet Lips won the Sunshine Millions Distaff at Santa Anita last year for trainer Bobby Frankel and has been training at Gulfstream since early December for a title defense in Saturday's $500,000 Ocala Breeders' Sales Distaff.
Penny's Fortune, a Kentucky-bred daughter of Storm Cat who cost $650,000 at the 2002 Keeneland September yearling sale, surged to the lead entering the stretch and went on to a two-length victory in the $57,825 Carmel Handicap at Bay Meadows Sunday.
Arnold Zetcher's House of Fortune ran away to a 17-length victory over three outclassed rivals in the $77,025 California Oaks at Golden Gate Fields Saturday.
Boxed in at the quarter pole, Heavenly Humor and jockey Kevin Radke found room at the head of the stretch and went on to a five-length win in Saturday's $64,650 Miss California Stakes for 3-year-old fillies at Golden Gate Fields.
Most Popular Stories
- Derby Battle: Tapit vs. Uncle Mo
- A Derby Rookie's First Churchill Morning
- Maurice, Chautauqua Victorious in Hong Kong
- Nyquist Ships to Churchill Day After Work
- Uncle Lino Game in California Chrome Stakes
- Toews On Ice Glides to William Walker Win
- Exaggerator Works for Kentucky Derby Bid
- Dettori Strikes With 'Gold' in 2000 Guineas
- Danzing Candy Logs Final Derby Breeze
- Alert Bay Holds Tough in San Francisco Mile