Markus and Ingrid Jooste's Legal Eagle silenced doubters when he cut back in distance to win the one-mile L'Ormarins Queen's Plate (SAf-I) Jan. 9 at Kenilworth.
The Justin Snaith-trained Futura was named South Africa's Horse of the Year for the 2014-2015 racing season.
Sean Tarry-trained French Navy stamped himself as a leading contender for South Africa's biggest horse race, the Vodacom Durban July (SAf-I), with an upset win in the Daily News 2000 (SAf-I) May 30 at Greyville.
Trainer Sean Tarry dominated racing at Turffontein on Classic Day on Saturday, March 28, saddling four group winners on the 11-race card.
South African champion Heavy Metal and Irish classic-placed Gale Force Ten headline a full field for the $250,000 Al Fahidi Fort (UAE-II) Jan. 23 at Meydan.
In a day littered with upset results, 16-1 outsider Heavy Metal proved a surprise winner of South Africa's best-known horse race on July 6 -- the Vodacom Durban July (Saf-I).
Turffontein Racecourse in South Africa hosted one of its biggest racing festivals April 27 with four group I events in the card. But one of the afternoon's greatest performances came in the group II Wilgerbosdrift SA Oaks.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome 'Fit' for BC After Work
- Living The Life Retired, Won't Run in BC
- Nyquist's BC Work Less Than Ideal
- Beholder, Frosted Drill at Santa Anita
- Rachel Alexandra Breeder Morrison dies
- Songbird Logs Final Breeze for Distaff
- Breeders' Cup Pre-Entries Total 185
- Charismatic Moving to Old Friends
- The Star of the BC Classic: Lucky Spell?
- Catch a Glimpse Breezes for Breeders' Cup