It was no great surprise that Half Hennessy supplied the first group I classic win for his sire in the $500,000 (Australian funds) Queensland Derby (Aust-I) on June 7. It was the manner in which he dispatched his 13 rivals that provided the shock.
Hennessy landed his first Australian group I win as his 4 year-old son Grand Armee raced to a brilliant 3 1/2 length victory in the $2.5 million (Australian funds) Doncaster Handicap on April 19.
Sheila Laxon is the first woman to prepare the Melbourne Cup (Aust-I) winner -- officially at least. When Ethereal dashed down the center of a damp Flemington course to overwhelm Godolphin's Give the Slip, the Rhythm filly raced herself and her handler into Cup history.
Most Popular Stories
- White-Headed Foal Named Southern Phantom
- Relief Comes to Abandoned Horses in Kentucky
- Six Neglected Horses Cleared to Leave Farm
- Kentucky Neglect Case Under Investigation
- Gaudet, Amoss to Join Saratoga Live Team
- Fewer Fatalities Tied to Risk-Factor Changes
- A New Brand of Hero
- Bramlage: Decreased Use of Depo-Medrol a Plus
- AAEP Panel Calls for Additional EIPH Research
- Tampa Bay Downs Ready for Summer Festival