Seafree, hampered by a poor start in her last start, will try to make amends in Sunday's $100,000 Hawthorne Handicap (gr. III) for fillies and mares on the Cushion Track at Hollywood Park.
The 4-year-old eastern invader Ermine, the most accomplished runner in a field of eight older fillies and mares, is the probable favorite in the $150,000 Santa Maria Handicap (gr. I) at Santa Anita Saturday.
Trainer John Sadler on Wednesday welcomed 15 horses to his Hollywood Park stable from veteran owner Edmund Gann, who transferred them from Bobby Frankel after an alliance of more than 30 years.
Overlooked Healthy Addiction went gate to wire on a sealed track for jockey Jon Court to win her first grade I race in the $300,000 Santa Margarita Invitational Handicap under rainy skies Saturday at Santa Anita Park.
Gary A. Tanaka's Star Parade will face a solid field of nine other fillies and mares in Saturday's $300,000 Santa Margarita Invitational Handicap (gr. I), but that's nothing new for the 7-year-old mare.
Trainer Wally Dollase would just as soon forget Santa Margarita Invitational Handicap (gr. I) candidate Bending Strings' last effort of Nov. 24, when she was ninth by 28 lengths in the Fall City Handicap (gr. II) at Churchill Downs.
Seafree, making the first start of her career around two turns for trainer Bobby Frankel, ran away from the prohibitive favorite Pussycat Doll early and staggered to victory in the $200,000 La Canada (gr. II) for 4-year-year old fillies at Santa Anita Park.
Pussycat Doll, coming off powerful grade I victory in the La Brea Stakes (gr. I), could easily stand out among eight 4-year-old fillies entered in Santa Anita's $200,000 La Canada Stakes (gr. II) at 1 1/8 miles on Sunday.
Sharp Lisa, winless since winning the Las Virgenes (gr. I) as the odds-on favorite as a 3-year-old 12 months ago, gets another chance in Saturday's $250,000 Santa Maria Handicap (gr. I) at Santa Anita Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Record Tiznow Colt Lives Up to Expectations
- Animal Kingdom's First N. Hemisphere Starter Wins Big
- Tiznow Colt Brings $2.45 Million at OBS
- Strong Gains at OBS Session Led by Record Tiznow Colt
- Derby, Oaks Notes from Churchill Downs, April 27
- Santa Anita Officials Confident Future Cards Will Fill
- Paradise Woods Records Final Work for Kentucky Oaks
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Pletcher Considering Royal Ascot for American Patriot