Winless in 11 previous graded stakes tries, Halo Najib figures to never get a better chance to end the hex than he has in the $150,000 Potrero Grande Handicap (gr. II) at Santa Anita April 4.
It remains to be seen if grade II winner Salute the Sarge can make the Derby after five months on the sidelines, but it appears his connections want to try after the colt's gritty win in the $78,000 San Miguel Stakes at Santa Anita March 29.
Speedster Sea of Pleasure, winner of three of four lifetime starts for trainer Gary Stute, makes his turf debut in the $100,000 Baldwin Stakes (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds vying on Santa Anita's hillside turf course March 2.
Gayego figured to need a suicidal pace in order to catch the speedy Sea of Pleasure in the $79,700 San Pedro Stakes, and that's exactly what the Gilded Time colt received in setting a track record at Santa Anita Jan. 20.
Most Popular Stories
- Strangles Leads to ThistleDown Quarantine
- Havre de Grace Half Sister Wins at Delaware
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Beholder Fires Bullet, Ready to Rumble
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Barretts Sale Features Wide Selection
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Suddenbreakingnews Works, Bound for Belmont
- PDJF Derby Day Fundraiser Raised Over $40,000
- Colt is First Winner for Maclean's Music