Santa Anita Park will soon have a new president in Tom Ludt, the former chairman of the Breeders' Cup, after longtime executive George Haines was selected to head Southern California's offtrack wagering facility network.
Rick Baedeker will begin work Feb. 3 as executive director of the California Horse Racing Board, the agency announced Jan. 30.
The mini-satellite wagering network in California expanded to Santa Maria with the California Horse Racing Board's approval Aug. 25.
After months of planning approvals and construction, the OC Tavern Grill and Sports Bar, located in the Southern Orange County beach community of San Clemente, is ready to open its doors to horse players.
Quieting some of the uncertainty surrounding Magna Entertainment's bankruptcy woes, Oak Tree Racing Association has been assured that its long-term lease will be honored at Santa Anita.
Al Karwacki, who served as general manager and vice president of Bowie Race Track in Maryland, died March 7 of pancreatic cancer.
California's aging satellite wagering network got a wake-up call from the new chairman of the state's horse racing board during its meeting Feb. 19 at Santa Anita Park.
The California Thoroughbred Trainers reported Feb. 16 that San Luis Rey Downs will close as a Thoroughbred training center effective March 15.
With strong out-of-state business leading the way, the Oak Tree Racing Association meet, which ended Nov. 4, posted significant gains in all sources mutuel handle over last year's figures. Out-of-state average daily handle was up 18% over last year and average daily total handle for the meet was up 9%.
- By Jack Shinar
Financially strapped California Thoroughbred trainers will be able to borrow money to help them make their initial workers' compensation insurance payments due on July 1 under a plan approved by state racing
Most Popular Stories
- Classic Empire a Pro in Four-Furlong Move
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Churchill Considers Historic Gaming Machines
- Record Tiznow Colt Lives Up to Expectations
- Animal Kingdom's First N. Hemisphere Starter Wins Big
- Tiznow Colt Brings $2.45 Million at OBS
- Strong Gains at OBS Session Led by Record Tiznow Colt
- Derby, Oaks Notes from Churchill Downs, April 27
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Santa Anita Officials Confident Future Cards Will Fill