Well over 200 people--horsemen, fans, and racetrack regulars--gathered April 20 at Santa Anita Park to remember trainer Mike Mitchell, who died at the age of 66 April 14 after a lengthy battle with brain cancer.
On April 15, friends who worked with trainer Mike Mitchell over the years recalled the life of the iconic trainer who worked in Southern California for nearly 40 years.
One of racing's long-standing jockey/agent relationships came to an end when jockey Alex Solis handed agent Scotty McClellan his pink slip Jan. 27 after a successful run of 16 years.
Jockey Alex Solis, sidelined since suffering a knee injury in a spill at Santa Anita last Friday, is scheduled to return to action at Hollywood Park on Nov. 16, agent Scotty McClellan reported Wednesday.
R.H. "Chick" McClellan, a long-time successful jockey agent and constant presence at his home racetrack, Santa Anita Park, died at his home in Arcadia Friday night at the age of 86.
Jockey Alex Solis, who suffered a fractured vertebra in a spill at Del Mar July 23, was back in the saddle for the first time Friday morning, working two horses for trainers Jeff Mullins and Richard Mandella.
Former trainer David Cross Jr., who won the 1983 Kentucky Derby with Sunny's Halo, will launch a new career as a jockey agent at Hollywood Park next week with apprentice Jorge Carreno.
Most Popular Stories
- Melatonin Game in Gold Cup Victory
- Mo Tom Clear Winner in Ohio Derby
- California Chrome Logs Weekly Drill at Los Al
- Un Autre First Winner for I'll Have Another
- Lord Nelson Lunges to Triple Bend Score
- Nyquist Logs Easy Afternoon Workout
- Tepin Makes Stop at Belmont Park
- Isabella Sings Sails Home in Eatontown
- Harzand Completes Derby Double at Curragh
- Sarah Sis Returns to Winning Ways in Chicago