After an international search, the New York State Gaming Commission announced Jan. 13 that Dr. Scott Palmer has been appointed the equine medical director for the racing regulator.
Dr. Larry Bramalge is back as the AAEP on-call vet for the final Triple Crown race after sitting out the first two following an incident at Churchill Downs.
A task force has determined the spate of fatal racehorse breakdowns at Aqueduct Racetrack this past winter was primarily the result of structural deficiencies in rules and regulations employed by NYRA and racing regulators.
This year's Albany Law School Institute on Racing and Gaming Law devoted a full day to matters of equine health, focusing primarily on Thoroughbred retirement and aftercare.
Trainer Chad Brown confirmed Martin Schwartz's Zagora for a title defense in the Diana Stakes, a 1 1/8-mile race for fillies and mares July 28, after the mare breezed four furlongs on the Oklahoma training track.
The organization is working on a best practice document for its members and guidelines to improve vet-trainer-owner relationships.
Though there are differences of opinion on what should be done next in the area of medication reform, everyone seems to agree there is a continuing problem and something should be done.
The American Horse Council's National Issues Forum will focus on the "Welfare of the Horse."
By Sean Clancy - In early January, I found myself at my kitchen table, trying to figure out an end to the book I was writing on Barbaro and Matz. I couldn't shake Matz' voice from my head, "How do you know that's the end? Maybe there's a lot more to the story..."
Most Popular Stories
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- Stormy Lucy Ends Graded Drought in Santa Ana
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- KY-Bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident